Lip Lift and Rhinoplasty

I am considering a rhinoplasty and an upper lift lip to improve the appearance of my face. I would like my nose to appear narrower and more feminine and I feel my upper lip is too small and too far away from my nose. Would these procedures be right for me? I have also read that they should not be performed at the same time. Is this true, could they be performed at separate times and which should be done first.

Can have lip-lift and rhinoplasty

+2

Your diagnosis is correct, you do have a very elongated upper lip. I have had a great deal of success with lip lift surgery and the scars are NOT noticeable, despite what others have suggested here. You have a good skin type that will most likely heal well.  I would recommend looking at lip-lift photos of other patients during your surgical consultation and decide for yourself. The rhinoplasty and lip lift can be performed at the same time, but also (and more commonly for my practice) the lip-lift can be performed under local anesthesia.

Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

VIDEO (click here) lip lift in young individual

+1

Lip lifts can be completed in a young indiviidual with the potential of a visible scar. See the video below for an example. A limited rhinoplasty such as a tip rhinoplasty can be accomplished at the same time. However, if a more extensive rhinoplasty is required, it may be wise to stage and separate the surgical procedures.;

Rhinoplasty with lip lift

+1

The rhinoplasty is a procedure that gives more definition to the nose and balance with facial features. The tip and bridge can be narrowed. Hump removal can be performed. If there is a long upper lip, the nose can be brought down a couple of millimeters to improve the nasolabial angle. With a short upper lip, the nose can be lifted slightly to give the elusion of having a longer upper lip. An anterior caudal septum and hanging columella can be trimmed back to improve the nose lift junction area. Both of these procedures are usually performed under general anesthesia.  

Lip Lift and nose surgery

+1

Lip lift and nose surgery can be a winning combination. They both work to restore balance to two defining features of the face. The simplest, although not ideal solution would be to try filler in the lip. The plus to this is there is no scar.

With everything we do in cosmetic surgery there is a potential trade off. A shorter lip for a scar along the lip or base of the nose. The order I would suggest would be to have computer imaging performed, to help refine your aesthetic goals of the nose surgery. In addition to narrowing I think you will want to shorten the nose by rotating it up. Depending on the degree an incision here could be more visible.

The ideal lip procedure consists of two parts, one would be a nasal base excision of tissue, with a resultant scar along the bottom of the nose. We commonly will make smaller incisions along the bottom of the nose when we narrow the nostril in patients. Your incision would run the length of the bottom of the nose. The second lip procedure is to plump the lip up as neither approach to obtaining more lip show will increase the fullness of the lip. Fillers, fat AlloDerm are all options. This can be performed at a later visit as well.

Brian Maloney, MD, FACS
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1

An experienced rhinoplasty surgeon will likely be able to narrow the nasal base and refine the tip, essentially feminizing your nose.  I rarely perform the lip lift.  While an unfavorable scar may be uncommon, every millimeter of the face is "high-priced real estate". If you are astute enough to pick out imperfections in your facial proportions, you may be displeased with even minimal scarring in the subnasal region resulting from a lip lift.

Jason R. Hess, MD

Lip lift and rhinoplasty

+1

I rarely recommend lip lifts in younger patients since the traditional "bullhorn" lip lift can leave some more obvious scarring in younger skin. Other lip augmentation surgeries done on the inside of the lip can leave weird swelling for quite a few months. Usually, I recommend younger patients look at fillers for the lip first even though they are temporary.

A rhinoplasty can also affect the appearance of the lip, especially in patients with over-projected nasal spines pre-operatively. I usually recommend that my patients start with just a rhinoplasty. Lip enhancement can be done once the rhinoplasty has healed for a few months.

--DCP

David C. Pearson, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Subnasal upper lip lift

+1

You are an excellent candidate for the type of lip lift that is done at the bottom of the nose. In over 30 years of doing these , I have never had a problem scar. If you are considering a rhinoplasty  at the same operative session, I would be cautious. If the only thing needed is tip refinement , I would think it would be all right to do the nose in the same operative sitting . If a significant profile change is to be done wherein the tip is rotated upward and/or the base of the nose needs to be narrowed, I would suggest doing these operations with 6 months between. Either one could be done first. The lip lift sequelae are   hardly noticeable by 5 days when all the skin sutures come out.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Lift and Rhinoplasty

+1

A rhinoplasty would narrow and refine your nose. It appears that you would benefit from a reduction in the flare of your nostrils. I rarely do lip lifts - I've  seen excellent  results, but there is always the risk of an unfavorable scar, a risk which most of my patients will not accept. First, use fillers at the same time as your rhinoplasty to change lip fullness and contour. This is a far less invasive procedure and may provide the desired results..

Lip Lift and Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Socalsun,

A subtle rhinoplasty can help you achieve your nasal goals.  The major problem with a lip lift is the resulting scar that can be very troubling for the rest of your life.  I would recommend having your rhinoplasty first.  Then you can have fillers used to restore natural proportions to your upper:lower lip ratio.  Do choose your surgeon most carefully.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Encino, Ca

Michael A. Persky, MD

Lip Lift and Rhinoplasty

+1

Thanks for the frontal photo. Yes I would agree with you as for the two operations being done at the same time. Seek 3 boarded surgeons in your area.