Lip Lift Possible Despite an Overbite?

I would like to get a lip lift because I have a long philtrum that makes my face look older and less proportional. Although my upper lip covers most of my teeth at rest, when I lift it slightly it becomes overly protruded, the tops of my teeth show, and I look like a horse. I then realized that I have a mild overbite and protruding maxilla. Having said that, my question is this: if I correct my occlusion with orthodontics and orthognathic surgery, would it be possible for me to get a good result from a lip lift? Thanks!

Lip lift and overbite, which should be repaired first?

+2

A general principle is to correct the functional deficit first (overbite), then address the appearance.

You may find the dynamics totally altered after surgery and actually decide not to go through a lip lift.

If you decide you still want to investigate the possibility of a lip lift, I hope the video link below helps you understand if you are a candidate.

Lip lift vs orthognathic surgery

+2

It sounds like you have a significant knowledge base and understanding of your situation.  The more formal way to correct your problem would be to correct the underlying bony framework problem and have braces and jaw surgery.  Then evaluate the lip after. 

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Lip Lift after orthodontia

+2

It appears that you have performed a thoughtful analysis of your condition. I would agree that the first priority is to have your orhtodontia corrected. Once that is completed you may actually notice a decrease in the size of your philtrum. IF not, then that would be a good time to consider a lip lift.

Lip Lift

+2

This is a great question. It brings up a very important issue that should be addressed in everyone prior to lip lift procedures. The "vertical excess" of the maxilla, or the length of the upper jawbone, may be a predominant factor in patients with a long upper lip. Lifting this lip will certainly expose more of the upper teeth. If you have this finding, then the lip lift may accentuate the problem. Once the height of the maxilla is reduced, then the lip lift may become that much more important in giving you a balanced aesthetic look.

Henry Daniel Sandel IV, MD
Annapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Consider lip augmentation after lip lift

+1

A lip lift will help correct your long philthrum after corrective orthodontic procedures. With a excessive length of the maxilla, orthognathic surgery and orthodonture may be necessary.

A lip lift by itself may not correct thin lips that lack projection. Consider Juvaderm injections or Alloderm implants to the upper and lower lips to arrive at lips that are plump and full in their appearance.

Lee Kleiman, MD
Annapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon