Lip Injections Are Lumpy when I Smile, Will this Even Out? (photo)

Okay It is only a day after my first Juvederm injections but I am a little concerned on the lasting effects. My top lip has two bumps in the front which are more noticeable when I smile. I know there might be some swelling but I don't know if these bumps will be permanent or are due to swelling from the injection site? Also I read that massaging might help, and if so how much and how long? Also there is a slight uneveness from my top lip right to left, will this even itself out?

Lumps in the lips

+1

Lumps in the lips following Juvederm injections can be caused by trauma, bleeding or too superficial of an injection.    Injecting the lips is technically challenging.  The goal is an aesthetically pleasing lip and not just a fat or sausage lip.  I usually inject in the white roll of the lip, this is the junction between the skin and the mucosal portion of the lip.  I usually do not inject in to the body of the lip as this can form lumps. Small lumps may just be from the needle trauma.  Vitrase or Wydase can be injected into these areas and will melt the Juvederm lumps in a day or so.

Lip fillers

+1

Being that you are only one day out and have lumps, you should  talk to your doctor. I usually have patients massage out the lumps if they get one.

Lumpy lip injections with Juvederm

+1

It is always advisable to wait at least one and preferably two weeks for all of the swelling to resolve before assessing the results of lip filler injections. Massaging early on is not a good idea as you can make the swelling worse. Because this is an art as much as it is a science, it is especially important to remember that the experience and technique of your physician injector is the most critical part to your achieving a beautiful, natural result. You should return to your injecting physician if the lumpiness persists.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Lumpy Lip Injection?

+1

It is possible to have areas of fullness 1 day after a lip filler injection. Normally, your doctor will massage these until they are smooth and frequently lip movements will help to even this out over a week or so. You can return to your doctor to see if they can manipulate this to be a bit more smooth.  Fortunately, time will remedy most of your issues, but a gentle massage (best done by your physician) will help to remedy your issues.

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD