Can Lip Injections Cause Lip Wrinkles?

My family doctor told me not to get them because as time goes by the skin around my lips will lose elasticity. Is this true?

Lip wrinkles

+1

Regardless of filler injections, you and anyone will lose skin elasticity as you age. It is an inevitable biological occurrence.

This is aggravated by sun exposure, smoking, and repetitive muscle use. I have also observed this in patients who have undergone extensive upper lip electrolysis in the past. Underlying dental or some genetic disorders can contribute to this condition.

Treatment may consist of fillers, but Botox may also be considered as well as resurfacing options. Occasionally the definition or underlying boney anatomy needs to be addressed.

This is not an accepted or recognized risk of filler injections.

No

+1

Lip injections are performed there into the lip and at the vermilion border, where the skin and lip meet. Filler is not injected into the muscle around the lip, the orbicularis oris. I cannot conceive why injecting material into the lip would cause the area next to the lip to wrinkle.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist