Why Won't Lip Injections Last for Me?

I've been getting lip injections on occasion since age 21 and I am 26 now. I have tried using Restylane, Perlane, Juvederm Ultra, and Hylaform injected into my lips. Usually I'll have 1-2 syringes injected and I have medium fullness already in my lips. I am very tall and thin and I model. No matter the doctor I have gone to or the product injected, it is always completely gone in 1 month as even noted by my doctors in photos they take. Why won't it last in my lips? I love the look!

Fat injections and silikon lip augmentation

+1

If temporary fillers do not last, but you like the look, you might consider permanent options.  Although Silikon injections to the lips can be disasterous if performed incorrectly, excellent results can be achieved with the microdroplet techniques.  Fat injections are also a great option, although fat "take" is also unpredictable.

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip augmentation

+1

Lip augmentation by fillers does not stay. Fat transfer may need to be done twice. Once fat takes and stay it lasts long.

Permanent fillers are not FDA approved and should not be used because of granuloma formation

Lip injections

+1

After trying ALL those filler injections MAYBE you should try fat grafts or upper lip operation. seek local consults.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Silikon-1000 may be used by experienced physicians for permanent, natural, lip augmentnation.

+1

Silikon-1000 is a permanent filler, so your results, good or bad, are permanent. You must find a board-certified dermatologist or facial plastic surgeon experienced with the serial puncture, micro-droplet technique. You should also have a discussion with your doctor about the FDA's position with respect to using Silikon-1000 in an off-label fashion to enhance your lips. Lastly, you should see many before and after photos demonstrating beautiful, natural results before you pick your doctor and proceed. Although HA products are supposed to last up to a year, your mobile lips are an area most likely to resorb product.

If any of my colleagues wish to learn more about my experience with Silikon-1000, I am giving an instructional course at the upcoming Fall Meeting of The American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (AAFPRS). The course is titled "Off-Label Applications of Liquid Injectable Silicone (LIS)", and I will be presenting on 9/24/2010 at 4pm. Common conditions treated include: volume replacement, wrinkle reduction, lip enhancement, acne scarring, and correction of many nasal irregularities (“Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty”). I will also be describing the serial puncture, microdroplet technique that is essential for achieving desired results.

I've attached a link to my Lip Enhancement photos for your perusal.

I hope this helps, and best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

When Lip Injections Won't Last, It Is Time To Move Forward To Lip Implants!

+1

Fillers do great in the lips but don't last very long.  Lip implants are easy to put in, easy to remove, very cost effective, natural looking and permanent.  cost: $1500-2000 per lip.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip Injections Disappearing

+1

Unfortunately, the injectables were never designed to be placed in such a mobile, vascular area as the lips.  Because of this, it degrades faster in some women.  The reason is that because of the constant motion of the upper lip, the material does not have time to become incorporated into the tissues, and essentially get moved out of the way pretty easily.  You are not alone in experiencing this, which is why alot of women go to fat injections instead.  The results can be alot longer lasting.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Why fillers don't last: one potential explanation for hyaluronic agents

+1

Natural hyaluronic acids are constantly turned over by the body and can be metabolized by hyaluronidase, an enzyme that is normally present in the body.  Although, I am not aware of any study defininitively proving this, it stands to reason, that some individuals have higher levels of intrinsic hyaluronidase activity. In these individuals, exogenously administered hyaronics would also be subject to a higher rate of turnover. There is no known in vivo test or assay for this, to the best of my knowledge.