Can Lip Injections Cause Upper Lip to Cover Teeth While Smiling?

I have a very thin upper lip and I'm considering getting lip injections.However I'm quite worried that my upper lip when smiling will cover my teeth.Is this possible?

Natural Looking Results of Lip Fillers Like Juvederm Are A Main Critera

+1

Lip enhancement procedures are more complex in nature than one might assume.  The outcomes are not a simple matter of just injecting filler to make them look bigger.  The right results are not only contingent on quantitative factors like dosage, but also on the different injection zones on the lips. The practitioner needs to be mindful of balance, symmetry aesthetics and how these principles are applicable to the patient’s requests. Also it is important that the results look natural.  Hyaluronic fillers like Juvederm are good choices as far as this is concerned. There are ways to get a lip enhancement procedure without the top lip covering your teeth. However this really depends on the physician’s artistic ability and overall skill. Be sure to choose someone with board certification who has before and after pictures that are demonstrative of these qualities.

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Experienced Lip Injector Will Maintain Appropriate Aesthetic of the Lip

+1

Experienced lip injectors who understand and appreciate the lip anatomy and proportions (upper to lower) should be able to achieve excellent results for lip augmentation.  If in the right hands, concerns that you have mentioned can be avoided. I recommend you consult a board-certified dermatologist or facial plastic surgeon for consultation.  Good luck!

Channing R. Barnett, MD

Question regarding lip augmentation.

+1

Lip  injections can increase volume of the lip such that there can be cover of the upper teeth with smiling. This can be a desired effect for patient who have gummy smiles or show of their gums with smiling.   Ultimately you have to discuss your goals with your treating physician.  You can enhance lips with augmentation of mid lip which increases overall lip volume. You can inject along the vermilion border of the lip which frames and defines the lip. Finally you can inject along the wet lip dry lip junction which increase the length  and everts the lips.  An experienced injector will be able to  utilize the above techniques to optimize your lip configuration.

Philip Solomon, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Seek a good injector and you shouldn't have this problem

+1

When considering lip injections, your best bet is always to seek a qualified injector who is a trained physician. In my experience, people who have problems like what you're describing have them from improperly trained injectors. On the majority of people, the bottom lip is larger than the top lip (usually 2/3 to 1/3). This is important when injecting because you want to maintain this balance. If an injector overfills the top lip, this is when you get "trout pout" or obnoxiously overfilled lips. What you and your injector need to discuss is what you want your lips to look like. My assumption is that you want them to be fuller, but in the same proportion as what you have now. This is easily accomplished if you visit a good injector who understands the balance needed for proper lip filling with injectables.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Thin upper lips and fillers

+1

Fillers can be used to fill the lips and also cover the gums a bit and the upper portion of the teeth for some individuals.

Getting the results you want from your lip injections

+1

You need to carefully set goals and expectations with your physician injector before your treatment. Because this is an art as much as it is a science, it is especially important to remember that the experience and technique of your physician injector is the most critical part to your achieving a beautiful, natural result. Always ask to see before and after pictures of patients they have personally injected. If possible, look for someone who is on the medical education faculty for one of the facial fillers. If they have been selected to train other physicians how to treat the aging face they are likely to be good, experienced injectors. The video link below shows me injecting my wife’s lips with Restylane!

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

I have a very thin upper lip and I'm considering getting lip injections.However I'm quite worried that my upper lip when smiling

+1

This sounds like a volume issue that's related to swelling from the filler used during the lip augmentation or from the volume of filler used.  Be sure that the MD you choose for your lip augmentation, facial shaping and contouring understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial (and lip) aesthetics to ensure the lips are filled to the appropriate volume and proportions.  

Proportion is important in lip augmentation

+1

A trained injector who has performed many lip injection augmentations would be able to work with you and contour the lips to your desired fullness.  It is important to realize that when we discuss the aesthetic proportions of the lips, the upper lip should have 1/3 of the fullness and the lower lip should have 2/3 of the fullness.  I see too many people walkin around with "trout pout" or an upper lip that is overly plumped and filled.  Talk to your doctor about your wishes prior to the procedure.

Jason D. Bloom, MD
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon