Are Lip Impants a Bad Idea? I Hear That Many People Want Them Removed, Is This True?

A nurse told me that there are many ladies who want their lip implants removed. Why? Are lip implants a bad idea?

Lip Implants

+2

We have excellent result with the perma lip implants.  Having performed this surgery numerous times, alone and with other procedures, we have only had 1 patient that wanted her's out.  This patient had some personal problems. She also removed on own braces.  Does that tell you anything?  Be sure to consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) to discuss your expectation.  Over all, this is a popular procedure and makes happy patients.

Lip Implants are a bad idea.

+2

Lip implants are a bad idea. 

The lips are actually very, very specialized muscles with no fat between the muscles and the skin.  This is why lips are pink.  It's the muscle showing through the very, very thin skin.

Implants can impare the delicate movement of the lips and distort them.  Also lip implants such as Gortex tubes or Alloderm can harden over time.  Movement of the lips can dislodge implants and even cause the implants to extrude which is a real bummer.   

There are other great alternatives for lip enhancement.   My favorite is filler, either hyaluronic acid fillers such as Restylane, Juvederm, Prevelle, etc or the patient's fat. 

And remember with the lips (as with everything we plastic surgeon's do), it's all about harmony.  Big pouty lips on a slender and fine boned European face look ridiculous just as supper thin lips would look ridiculous on a full, heavy boned Polynesian face. 

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Lip Implants a bad idea?

+1

I don' t think so.  You can ALWAYS find conflicting advice and opinions.  I have had many successful patients well satisfied with their lip implants.  Personally, I favor the Perma facial Implant for this procedure.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lip Enhancement

+1

First, I would suggest scheduling a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon. A doctor will be able to assess the look you are trying to achieve, and guide you from there. Before an implant, I would suggest short-term enhancements, specifically lip fillers, such as Juvederm or Restylane. This way, you will be able to see a change in the appearance of your lips without it being permanent. 

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Lip Augmentation

+1

If you are thinking of having any form of lip augmentation done, I suggest speaking to a facial plastic surgeon to go over options. We have many patients that love their implants and we also have many patients that love facial fillers, such as Restylane.

Again, most hesitation comes from lack of knowledge. I highly recommend speaking with a plastic surgeon to go over your options that would be best fit for your cosmetic goals.

Good luck on your search!

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon