Lip Filler for Keloid Prone Patient?

I want to have a filler put into my lips but I am prone to keloids on my body. Should I be concerned about keloids on my lips from a filler?

Keloids and Fillers

+1

Dear MOMSUE, Keloiods with injectable fillers is uncommon. In Medicine nothing is 100%. it would be best for you to start with something like a Hyaluronic Acid such as Restylane if you were to have an injection. Make sure you carefully monitor things and see your MD if anything suspicious is happening.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Only at injection site

+1

The liklihood that a patient would develope a keloid from lip enhancement is pretty low other than potentially at the insertion point of the needle. Make sure and discuss your concerns with the appropriately board-certified physician prior to your treatment.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Extremely remote

+1

If you develop keloids on the face there would be a very remote possiblity of this happeningto your lips. If your keloids are in the keloid prone areas, ie. shoulders, upper back, ears, and not the face even that remote possiblity should become even more remote.

If you think about it you undoubtedly, in childhood and beyond, traumatized your lip in some way. If a keloid did not develop then, it is unlikely a needle stick would cause it to happen now.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Lip filler for keloid prone patients

+1

Although keloids of the lips (that is the vermilion or red of the lips) are rare, that complication would be one potential risk in your case, given your tendency to keloid. I have injected many patients who generally tend to keloid, with needles in their normal skin for other medical reasons and have never seen keloids as a result of injecting their normal skin. I think the risk is very low, but not zero.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Keloids from injectable fillers would be extremely unlikely

+1

I really have not heard of anyone who had keloids form as a result of a needle stick for the insertion of filler material.  So I doubt that you have to worry about this possibility.

S. Randolph Waldman, MD
Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon