1 Week After Full Syringe of Perlane to Lips and Still No Difference, Is this Normal?

My doctor used one full syringe of Perlane to plump my lips, define the borders and revitalize the two vertical columns which extend from your nose to upper lip (not sure what this is called). It hasn't even been a week and my lips don't look any fuller. Is it possible that my body immediately absorbed this filler? I should mention that she has succesfully used Perlane in my tear troughs and upper cheek region in the past. Also, can anyone recommend a dr in Atlanta for great lips??? Thank you

Perlane and lips

+1

As discussed by several MD's, Perlane is not the optimal choice for lips. Restylane or Juvederm are the preferred dermal fillers for lip augmentation.

Perlane Satisfaction

+1

You may need more than 1 syringe in the area. If you feel you do not see a significant difference this is probably the case. We use fat transfer for alot of our lip augmentations, this may be something you should consider also as an alternative to a "filler".

Christian G. Drehsen, MD

Perlane to lips

+1

You may just need more Perlane in that area for your optimal results.  I would recomend trying one more syringe in the same area for extra volume and if then it still does not deliver to your satisfaction consider Juvederm.

Good luck.

Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD

+1

Perlane is a thick filler like Radiesse that's meant to be placed in fatty tissue layers of which the lips have none.  IMHO these fillers shouldn't be used for lip auagmentation.  Juvederm and Restylane are the lip fillers of choice and for a more permanent lip augmentation either Alloderm or Silastic lip implants.  be sure the MD understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial (and lip) beauty for the creation of proportioned, soft, beautiful lips.  

Not enough results probably means you needed another syringe

+1

My assumption is that one syringe wasn't enough to treat all of these areas. The NLF lines (the vertical columns as you called them) usually take at least one syringe, if not two, depending upon how much needs to be filled. Additionally, one syringe is usually used for the lips. So my assumption is that you probably needed another syringefor better and more obvious effects. One syringe for all of that simply wasn't enough to fill it all in. I would have most likely recommended one syringe of Perlane for the NLF region, and a syringe of Juvederm or Restylane for the lips and vermillion border.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Perlane treatment to lips

+1

i agree that this is not my first choice for lip augmentation.  But I also agree that you should see results from your treatment.  If you write to me privately, I would be able to provide you with a couple of doctors in Atlanta who may be able to help you.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Why aren't I seeing any effect after receiving Perlane in the lips?

+1

I agree with the other commenters that Perlane is not the usual filler used in the lips.  Either Restylane or Juvederm are better choices. There are a number of reasons why you aren't seeing any results.  They include:

1. If you do not compare before and after photos its sometimes difficult to assess the effect of cosmetic procedures.

2. You desire more effect than can be achieved with one syringe of filler.

3. Technique of the injector was not optimal

This are probably three of the most common reasons but there are surely other possbile reasons.  If you have been satisfied with your physician before return and ask them to discuss your concerns.

Ted Brezel, MD
Long Island Dermatologist

Perlane lip injection

+1
I agree with the other posts that you should have a significant result even with one syringe of perlane. You should review your photos. Likely you desire a more significant augmentation. Some patients with thin lips do require multiple syringes of product to achieve desired effects. Restylane, juviderm and Teosyal kiss are alternative products.

Philip Solomon, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Perlane is not the best choice for lips

+1

Agreed - Perlane is not the best choice for lips. Juvederm or Restylane is a much better choice. One syringe should have given you significant improvement so something seems amiss. You should return to your physician injector and discuss your concerns. If they are not addressed to your satisfaction, please find another office for your injections.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

This is not possible.

+1

I strongly recommend that you return to your doctors office and get after photographs taken and have the doctor show you the before and after photos on the computer screen.  There will be a difference.  If there are no before photos you are definitely being treated in the wrong office.  As a comment, generally Perlane is not a preferred filler for the lips because the material can form lumps in the lips.  Restylane which holds in tissues very well is much less prone to this issue.