Can Lip Filler Cause Signs of Cancer to Surface?

I am thinking of making my lips fuller but I am worried that it could cause lip cancer. I grew up surfing and in the sun. Could getting my lips done bring cause signs of cancer to surface?

Lip Fillers or Implants do not cause lip cancers

+1

Lip enhancements are great and natural looking now days compared to yrs ago. The most common fillers are Juvederm or Restylane at $550 per syringe and last roughly 6 months. Lip implants are having a nice surge since they are permanent and easy to put in or remove. They run roughly $1500-2000 per lip. They save you money in the long run. Any lip augmentation procedure commonly done now days will have no effect on causing lip cancer. If you do get lip cancer from your yrs in the sun , then it is fairly easy to treat superficially by freezing or chemically peeling or any of the other great treatments we do today regardless of what is in the lip for fillers.

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip contouring

+1

Dear Catgirl

Lip fillers have a very good record of safety - most disappear after a year or so. You can get a bump from an injection- this will be seen early- 1st week or 2. The filler may be absorbed irregularly- however unlikely and this could result in a bump over time.

Pre-cancerous lip changes show up as irregularity of the skin texture, peeling, ulceration and firmness. If you have any of these changes then you need an examination by your MD and a possible biopsy.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Can lip filler cause signs of cancer to surface? Lip augmentation

+1

No science on this topic. From what I know, you can get your lips fuller.

Just a thought - when a patient has surgery, they "focus" their attention on the surgery area. Thus, you maybe more focused on you lips. Don't forget to look at all parts of your body. If your prone to skin cancer - sun exposure, family history, previous skin cancer, etc - not a bad idea to take a look.

Back to your lips - fillers are nice. If you like what you see, you can have a more permanent change.

Michael Kulick, MD

Lip cancer and fillers

+1

There is no association that I am aware of between lip fillers and skin cancer.  Yes, you probably have a higher risk for lip cancer if you spend alot of time in the sun.

Lip Filler and Skin Cancer

+1

Lip filler has not been shown to be related to lip cancer.  If you have any growths or sun-damaged skin, particularly of the lower lip, however, you ought to seek care with a board certified dermatologist and address that issue first before considering filler.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Injectable Fillers do not cause Lip Cancer.

+1

Lip carcinoma can occur as a result of tobacco usage, or from excessive sun exposure. Having Injectable Fillers in your lips will not influence whether you develop lip malignancy in the future. If you have a lesion on your lip now, you should have it evaluated by a board-certified ENT or Dermatologist.

I hope this helps, and best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon