Can my Lip Fat Transfer Be Removed or Reduced?

I had a lip fat transfer 6 months ago, which I regret. Apart from taking on an overstuffed appearance, there are lumps/individual deposits of fat which I can feel, and my top lip feels sore and tender when I 'squeeze' or press gently, even 6mos later. One side is wider than the other & my lip shape isn't nice like it used to be, with fat spilling over the top line. Why does it hurt 6mos later - is there any way I can get rid of the fat? What are my options for removal - would injections work?

Fat injections and lip volume

+2

I prefer hyaluronic acid fillers to fat injections for the lip as the fat does not allow me to inject as precisely and the lips can look more "sausage"-like. Furthermore, the viability of the fat cells in the new surroundings are not as predictable as the placement of the hyaluronic acids. There are risks with any procedure, but fat can be lessened by injecting the area with corticosteroids. Surgical removal may cause scarring and can not remove all fat cells that are intertwined in the lip tissue.

There is always something to do for assymetry and tenderness!

+2

Tenderness, lumps, bumps and asymmetry are a fact of life, we just wish they wouldn't happen to us or our patients. A course of prednisone might help reduce inflammation in your lips, as would an intramuscular injection for cortisone. I have used cortisone injections into the affected areas to decrease inflammation and reduce size and lumpiness in both my own patients as well as patients who were treated by other physicians. the only way to know if something will work is to try it! Barry Resnik, MD dermatologist/cosmetic surgeon, Miami, FL

Barry Resnik, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Removing lip fat after transfer

+2

That is a very good question. The short answer is that it may be difficult to remove the fat without causing a worse problem. I am not a big proponent of fat injections as problems with fat injections in the lip are frequent. One possible option would be to have some temporary fillers placed to camoflauge the areas that need to be corrected to even out the lips. It might be possible to inject some steroids into the higher areas as well. I would seek the opinion of a well trained facial plastic surgeon or similarly trained person in your area.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Remove Fat Transfer to Lips

+1

Unfortunately it is extremely difficult to remove fat once it has been transferred. I would suggest steroid injections as a first line treatment to determine if fat atrophy might work.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat transfer to the lips

+1

This is a difficult procedure to get to work exactly right, and for it to stay that way.

I'd try some steroid injections into the worst areas.  Good luck!

Thomas Fiala, MD

Excessive fat with lumpy and bumpy appearance to lips

+1

Steroid injections over several sessions could perhaps soften the lumps and produce atrophy of the fat. Discuss the pros and cons with your surgeon.

Fat transfer

+1

Fat transfer to the lips need expertise and finness in fat transfer.

now the fat in your lip is lumpy because of inappropriate technique. rremoval is very very difficult and may cause more deformities.

Pain worries because of the possibility of infection.

See a BOARD CERTIFIED PLASTIC SURGEON (AMERICAN BOARD OF PLASTIC SURGERY) For examination diagnosis and treatment options

Can I modify results of fat injections to my lips?

+1

While fat injections can be very helpful in terms of regaining lost volume., they can also be unpredictable.  It sounds as if you might have asymmetry and some nodules. 

Your best bet would be to either follow-up with the surgeon who performed the initial injections and discuss your concerns.  There are options but far too many to list here.

I hope that helps!

Gregory A. Buford, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon