Best Fillers for Lip Augmentation?

My lower lip is thick, upper lip is too thin. I want to do lip augmentation only on my upper lip. I heard some firm lumps would be felt inside the lip by kissing and is disgusting. IS THIS REALLY TRUE? what material is best and longest lasting for injection to lip?

Restylane of Juvederm both work well for lip augmentation

+1

I've used both of the products with equal success in my patients.  The experience of the injector is of paramount importance.  Either product will look great when properly placed.

Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon

Juvederm is the best filler to use for upper lip fullness

+1

Juvederm is the best filler to use for upper lip fullness. Juvederm tends to absorb less water than restylane or perlane so you won’t get that overly puffy look immediately after. For more information about lip augmentation and juvederm, visit my website.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lip fillers

+1

The best fillers for lip augmentation are the hyaluronic acids. They work great and fill out the lips ver well.

Filler for lips

+1

I have a preference for either Juvederm Ultra XC or Restylane-L .  Both products are hyaluronic acid and both have lidocaine added so that the treatment is more comfortable.  The small sphere fillers tend to feel more natural in the lip and produce a supple feeling as opposed to a firmer more rigid lip.  You can not go wrong with either if those products as long as you have an experienced injector and have a realistic expectation of outcome. 

Lee Robinson, MD - RETIRED
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hyaluronic Acids currently best in the U.S. for natural looking lips

+1

Natural looking lips are what everone's goal should be during lip augmentation. Unfortunately, the lips are one of the most over-treated areas, and lip augmentation is certainly a procedure that separates the expert injectors from the cosmetic novices and non-specialists.

Ideally, the upper lip should be about 2/3 the size of the lower lip in volume.

While it's important to choose an expert, the product really matters here too!

Kissable Scale: 0 (cold fish) to 10 (silver-screen worthy)

10 out of 10 Hyaluronic Acids - the softest and most natural feeling fillers in the lips (except for fat and silicone... see below notes). The lips should be augmented in a natural pattern, NOT lined to look like a duck, which many patients unknowingly ask for and many practitioners unfortunately oblige. Stick with HAs for a winning filler in the lips...at least until Evolence Breeze is approved in the U.S.

8 out of 10 Collagens - the classic lip filler, but hard to find. Cosmoderm is not being made anymore, and only last 3 months. Evolence is a new collagen that can last a year, but is a bit too thick for the lips. Keep an eye out for Evolence Breeze, a soon to be coming to the U.S. product that will be "thinner" and more appropriate for the lips.

2 out of 10 Radiesse - not for the lips. Radiesse is a great filler for elsewhere, but not for the lips (very low on the kissable scale).

0 out of 10 Sculptra, ArteColl, or other permanent fillers (see fat and silicone exceptions below). Not for the lips.

Fat - great lip filler in experienced hands, but must be harvested from your body

Silicone - be very, very careful in the lips. You probably shouldn't do this until you've had years of experience with other fillers in the lip, and even then probably shouldn't. Purified silicone should only be used by the most expert of injectors and in the most confident patients. It's permanent, which can be a bad thing.

Chad L. Prather, MD
Baton Rouge Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip augmentation is best treated with hyaluronic acid fillers

+1

Lip augmentation can best be achieved in my opinion with one of the hyaluronic acid fillers. I prefer juvederm for the lips but restylane works well also. Lumpiness can occasionally form and this is easily treated with hyaluronidase and can be gotten rid of should it occur within 48 hours. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers for Lip augmentation

+1

Any filler can cause lumpiness, though this is very rare (<5%) with the hyaluronic acids (like Juvéderm and Restylane), and the collagens. Fat is another alternative, though it is a little more unpredictable. No matter which one you use, the experience of the injector is also important in reducing the risk of lumpiness.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

The new lip implants do very well and aren't lumpy like fillers can be.

+1

Lip fillers like juvederm and restylane do well in the lips and rarely get lumpy but only last 3-6 months.  There are 3 types of lip implants that do great in the lips and are permanent.  They are easy to slide in and easy to slide out if you ever wish that but rarely would anyone want them removed.  They run $1500-2000 per lip and are done in about 20 minutes under local only.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip augmentation

+1

Fillers for lip augmentation include restylane and juvederm. Both are excellent choices. Although lumps are uncommon, both can result in "lumpiness" that should be massaged out by the patient or practitioner. It is really technique dependent. Results may be variable depending upon who performs your procedure. Neither last as long in the lips as they last in the nasolabial area, typically 3-6 months.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon