Lip Augmentation: Different Techniques for Different Shapes of Lips?

I have petite Cupid's bow lips. Is there a certain technique for injecting fillers with my shape of lips that proportionally enhances my lips as opposed to others? E.g. Targeting specific areas of lips, such as central vermilion border as opposed to outer vermilion border (excuse me if I'm mistaken in such vocabulary). I would assume most would like to look as natural to their given shape as possible.

Lip injection techniques

+2

Everyone's lips are different, both in shape, size and volume. So every lip injection has to be differently tailored to the patient.  A competent injector will spend time evaluating your lips and surrounding skin, then formulate a plan to augment your lips and give them the fullest, most natural lips possible.  If you feel you are getting the "one size fits all" treatment, look elsewhere.

Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon

Different techniques are available for desired lip shapes

+2

Restylane and Juvederm are clearly the best fillers for the lips. What is done with them is based on what you and your board-certified injector decide. It really takes a face-to-face consultation to see what you need as the treatment plan is (or should be customized) for each patient.

Injections along the vermillion border typically enhance the projection or pout of the lip. It can also partly obliterate small fine vertical smoker's type lines. Injections in the body of the red lip enhance red lip volume. Depending on your specific anatomy, a combination of injection techniques will be used.

With respect to "central or outer," I typically inject more centrally than laterally on a relative basis. This is because overzealous injections laterally can make your lips look very unnatural and almost sausage-like. I'm sure you've seen the pictures of celebrity lip enhancements gone bad. Regarding your specific question around the cupid's bow, one should be careful the curve is not obliterated through injection technique since this can also look unnatural.

In sum, go to someone to a board-certified injector with experience in this area and whose explanations resonate with your desired end result. Have a great day.

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation Customized For Each Individual

+2

Any experienced, well-trained injector (who should be a board-certified dermatologist or facial plastic surgeon) should be able to customize the treatment to meet your needs and your lip anatomy. As mentioned by another physician, there is no one way to inject the lips. Every individual's lips have their own unique anatomy and an experienced injector will know how to augment lips according to the anatomy and the patients' desires.

Channing R. Barnett, MD

Individually tailored lip augmentation

+2

I agree with the last doctor.  I think that lip augmentation can be tailored to fit your desires when using injectable fillers.  There is no right or wrong way to inject.  The good doctor will listen to the patient's desires and adjust his/her technique accordingly.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lip augmentation techniques

+1

The technique used for a lip augmentation really depends on the individual circumstances of the patient.  For filling the lips, I like to use Juvedem. It is very soft, and yields a great looking and natural result.  A physician who is experienced with filler will be able to tailor the procedure to your individual needs.  I would recommend choosing a board certified physician that has a great deal of experience. Thank you and I hope this helps.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Different techniques for Lip enhancement

+1

Dear Julia,

Everyone has different asymmetries in their lips from left to right, and upper to lower.  A great injector listens to their client and can advise what your lips can look like if you put the filler within the locations of your concern.  I frequently inject more or less filler depending on where it is needed.  Our goal is to make your lips look great and natural because you are our walking advertisement.  Try a consultation to get all of your specific questions answered.  I have found that lip enhancement has one of the highest satisfaction rates when done properly.

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Techniques for lip augmentation

+1

Juvederm or Restylane are the best choices for lip augmentation. They can be used to replace lost volume, define the vermilion borders and create a more youthful curl, elevate and lift the corners of the mouth, and correct vertical wrinkle lines. Either filler can restore the natural contour of the upper and lower lip and enhance the Cupid’s bow area. You need to carefully express your desires and remember your results depend upon the skill and experience of your physician injector. The video link below shows me injecting my wife’s lips with Restylane!

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

+1

Using fillers to shape the lips or the face properly requires an understanding of the proper aesthetics of facial (and lip) beauty for the creation of a naturally, more attractive face and lips.

Lip augmentation for shape.

+1

Lip augmentation for shape is best done with Juviderm and not with fat, etc. this should be done very conservatively.