Will Swelling After Lip Augmentation Settle?

I had four injections for lip augmentation and one was excruciating. The area has now gone stiff and swollen. Will it settle down? Should I massage it?

Swelling after Lip Augmentation

+1
Most swelling settles down within 3 days. Occasionally, the swelling can last up to one week. If the swelling persists after that, please see your injector.

In the meantime, you can use cool, soft, flexible ice packs (or small packs of frozen peas) to keep the swelling down. Place the ice pack on the treated area(s) for 15-20 minutes at a time, 3 or 4 times per day. Keep your head elevated and use several pillows at night to help diminish the swelling. I recommend that you do not massage the filler as you do not want to press too hard and/or move the filler into the wrong place.  

Lips can swell after augmentation

+1

This is a tough one to answer with limited information. What filler was used? How long ago was the procedure? Was there excessive bleeding?

Some general answers: the most common fillers used for lip augmentation are hyaluronic acids (Juvederm, Restylane, Perlane). All of these products can cause swelling after the injections. The swelling usually subsides within a week. Stiff and swollen areas can be due to the hyaluronic acid itself, or can be due to bleeding into the lip at the time of the procedure. In either case, swelling decreases in a week or so.

When I perform lip augmentations, I use a very small needle and typically make an average of 15 needle sticks to get the result I am looking for. I usually do not massage my patients' lips after the treatment. If there is a slight excess in one spot, I will use massage to even the result. However, I NEVER recommend that my patients massage their own lips. If they are concerned, I always ask them to come back for a visit. Good luck.

Sirish Maddali, MD