What Prodecure Will Plump Up Thin Lip?

I have been researching lip augmentation. However, the before and after pictures are disappointing me. It seems to me that there is not a major difference between the two. I am looking for a drastic difference. Please take a look at my picture and advise me on what prodecure would benefit me? I live in the UK. Many thanks.

Procedure or options for thin lips

+1

Thank you for your photo.  In the face it is a good idea to start with something non permanent.  The soft and hard tissue of the face will change with time.  We usually start out with a hyaluronic acid based filler, (i.e.; juvederm, restylane).  It looks like you may benefit from some volume in the lips.  Best to see a few experienced injectors and see what they offer. 

Juvederm and fat provide the softest fillers for the lip.

+1

Juvederm and fat provide the softest fillers for the lip. Other fillers work well but may be firmer feeling, and stiffer.Juvederm and fat are injected using completely different techniques so check with your dermatologist to discuss the best option for you.

William P. Coleman III, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm or Restylane will plump up thin lips nicely

+1

Temporary lip fillers like Juvederm or Restylane will plump up lips nicely but should be done over 2-3 sessions a few days apart. Once you find the size you like then you can later get more permanent implants to accomodate your desire. Juvederm/Restylane run about $550-600/syringe and you probably will need at least 2 syringes. Permanent lip implants run $1500-2000 per lip.

Good Luck!

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

What prodecure will plump up thin lip?

+1

Rather than focus on thinning or thickening the lip, lets focus on the SHAPE of the lip.

Ideally, a lip should have a gentle arch with a dip in the middle, known as "Cupid's bow". The vertical dimension of the upper lip at the center, where cupid's bow is, should be around 1.1 cm. On a younger individual, with the lips gently parted you should see 2-3 mm of frontal incisors showing. When the the lip is significantly longer than this, the front teeth won't show, and when you close the mouth, the upper lip tends to push into the lower lip.

A longer lip can be a natural result of ageing, as the skin slides down and "rolls over" the red part of the lip. It can also be a normal feature of a person who has a flattened arch of the upper lip and cupids bow arches down into the lower lip, as seems to be in your case. In this situation, augmenting the red part of the lip with fillers is lengthens the lip even more. The upper lip then is pushed forward by the lower lip, giving the infamous "duck lips" appearance.

In your case, what I think would be a much better option would be a Lip Lift. The procedure is done under local anesthesia and takes about an hour to an hour and a half to do. The upward arch of the lip is restored, and the cupids bow does not overshadow the lower lip. As the upper lip skin is shortened, more of the red mucosa shows.

See my blog post below for some examples

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

Drastic lip augmentation

+1

Lip augmentation within reasonable boundaries yields fuller, beautiful lips. Drastic lip augmentation yields sausages.

The lip has certain beautiful contours, unique to each patient.

On a temporary basis, hyaluronic acid fillers help. On a more permanent basis, fat injection or LiveFill(R), autologous fat-fascia grafts are very popular in our practice.

However if you excceed the natural confines of the lip, distortion begins to occur, with blunting of the vermillion border , execssive projection, and loss of architectural features. This can result in a duck look or worse.

That is why you don't see many drastic before-after pictures of lip augmentation.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Lip augmentation with different fillers

+1

Lip augmentation could be performed using different fillers. Natural fillers include fat,dermis etc. Other filler include Restylane, Juvederm, etc..

The degree of correction depends on the amount injected. You need to accurately translate your expectations to your plastic surgeon and i'm sure he will be able to acheive the level of augmentation desired. Just remmeber that it is easier to add more volume than to end by a huge un-natural looking lip.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS