Does Lip Augmentation Cause Mouth Wrinkles?

I heard getting restylane, collegen, or juvaderm injections to make the lips bigger cause mouth wrinkles after a while? after it goes away?

Lip Augmentation with fillers like Restylane and Juvederm only make wrinkles better.

+2

Many patients have asked this same astute question over the years.  The good news is we do not see a worsening of lines after the fillers resorb.  In fact, due to the subtle collagen stimulating effect of all injectable fillers, I believe we are better off even after the filler goes away.  This has certainly been the experience in my practice and in my own lips.  ENJOY!

Sacramento Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip augmentation helps prevent wrinkles in the lips.

+1

Wrinkles on the lips are caused partially by loss of volume and support. Lip augmentation helps prevent wrinkles in the lips.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation Los Angeles

+1

Hello and thank  you for the question.

There is no evidence to suggest that the use of injectable fillers in the lips such as Juverderm or Restylane will lead to the development of wrinkles when the product resorbs.  It is likely that pre-existing wrinkles will become  more apparent in time with product resorption.  Having said, the repeated use of injectable fillers in the lips may lead to neocollagenization or the development of new collagen which could, in theory, produce a more permanent volumization of lips and potentially decrease the onset of wrinkle development.

Kindest Regards,

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Will Restylane and Juvederm for lip augmentation cause wrinkles

+1

No, fillers like Restylane and Juvederm for lip augmentation will not cause additional lines and wrinkles or make existing ones worse when they (fillers) absorb.

Are Wrinkles Made Worse by Fillers?

+1

The question of whether or not filler treatments will increase the risk of worsening of the lines after the filler has worn off has come up frequently. In my experience, the opposite has been the case. Wrinkles can be made to disappear using the new hyaluronic acid fillers such as Juvederm and Restylane and will give a completely natural look. These fillers can also stimulate the production of your own collagen which can give an even longer lasting result. I have never seen an instance where I felt that the treatment made things worse after it wore off. Quite to the contrary, I feel that fillers not only eliminate lines but will also prevent new ones from forming. Eventually, when all of the filler is gone, I believe you will still be much improved and will be better off than if you had no treatments at all.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation San Diego

+1

It is true, that after filler used for lip augmentation resorbs, wrinkles or creases you had before the procedure will re-appear.  Based on available evidence, It is NOT true that these fillers cause new wrinkles or creases.

Steve Laverson, MD

Lip Augmentation does not cause further wrinkling

+1

Fortunately, lip augmentation, whether done for volumizing the lips or for better defining the lip margin, does not lead to further wrinkling once the product has dissolved. It may even help lines around the mouth (mildly) when present.

You're correct in that it should be a hyaluronic acid filler or collagen rather than radiesse, sculptra, or a permanent filler. HA fillers and collagen have the right "feel" and consistency to achieve the desired result in the lips. As always, it's important to see a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon for best results.

Chad L. Prather, MD
Baton Rouge Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation

+1

Typically for a natural, balanced result, you will not get wrinkles around the mouth when the filler goes away.  Please make sure you go to a board certified facial plastic surgeon who helps you achieve balanced results that fit the rest of your face.

Kimberly Lee, MD