Fat Transfer for Lips: Worth It?

I am going in for a revision Breast augmentation and a little Liposuction under my chin soon, and I'm would also like my lips augmentated. I was considering something like Juvederm, but since I'm going to be out, do you think it would be worth a fat transfer? Many reviews say a lot gets reabsorbed, but some of the results I have seen when its worked are gorgeous. I'm 27.

Adult stem Cells best choice for permanent lip Augmentation.

+5

Your own fat is the best material for lip augmentation because it replenishes what is lacking in your lip... The reason for failure or poor results in the past was due to poor technique. Fat needs blood supply to survive. Adult stem cell technology gives an excellent option for permanent lip augmentation using your own adult stem cells and fat tissue. The stem cells in their regenerative process release several growth factors and cause angiogenesis (new capillary formation). The combination of Stem cells and fat thrive to create lips made of natural tissue as it is supposed to be. The technology is available now for clinical use.

Fat Grafting for Lip Augmentation

+3

Fat Grafting for lip augmentation is an excellent option and is NOT ABSORBED completely over time.  Over the years fat grafting techniques have evolved, with refinements in harvesting, injection, and preparation.  It is true that a portion of the fat that is injected will be reabsorbed, but with slight over correction, a lasting volume enhancement will be seen.  The addition of Platelet Rich Plasma to the fat that is injected will aid in volume retention via stimulation of stem cells in the fat.  When performed by a skilled surgeon who is very familiar with technique, fat grafting can provide lasting lip augmentation.  Good Luck, Dr. Corrado

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Difficult to get good result from fat transfer for lips

+3

Fat grafting to the lips is very difficult because as much as half of the grafted fat can be expected to resorb. This makes it difficult to anticipate what the final result will look like. Additionally, when placing fat in such a superficial area, it is hard to get a perfectly smooth result and lumps may become visible.

Finally, the fat that does survive is permanent, so if you are not happy, it can be very difficult to correct.

This is why I recommend Juvederm to my patients for lip augmentation. Even though it is not permanent, the results are predictable and the contour smooth.

Good luck with your upcoming surgery!

Jeffrey Horowitz, MD
Bel Air Plastic Surgeon

Difficult to obtain consistent results

+2

Fat grafts are becoming more popular, as we have learned to refine the techniques for both harvesting and rejecting. No one consistently obtains 100% survival but if the graphs survive they can survive for much longer time than the temporary dermal fillers which usually last 9-12 months. Talk with your plastic surgeon as to the technique he uses for both harvesting the fat as well as injecting. The most important thing is to minimize the trauma to the fat cells as you are removing them, and separating them from the other components ,so that you are re-injecting a higher concentration of fat cells .

Joseph M. Perlman, MD

Fat Trasnfer for Lips? Is It Worth it?

+2

Fat is not the best option for lip augmentation. there is a great deal of resorption. The reason for that is the fact that lips move a great deal. Hyalouronic acid fillers such as Restylane and Juvederm may be best options.

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Fat transfer to the lips

+1

Definitly consult with your surgeon but I perform a lot of fat transfer to the face and transfer to the lips is a little unpredictable.  As you said, when it take evenly and doesn't resorb much it's amazing but much of the time its a bit uneven and potentially lumpy.  The lips are just so mobile the fat take is variable.

Chase Lay, MD

Double board certified facial plastic surgeon

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat transfer fat grafting to Lips

+1

Fat transfer is the more permanent option to fillers. Some may opt to have a filler first to see how they like the results then get the fat transfer once the filler has gone away. If you are sure you want fuller lips and are scheduled for liposuction, discuss with your Surgeon the anticipated results and associated specifics of fat transfer. 

Pamela Gallagher, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Fat Transfer for Lip Augmentation - Hit and Miss

+1

My experience with fat transfer to the lips for augmentation has been hit/miss. Some patients have a nice result that lasts, and others seem to have very little benefit. I think its worth trying - since you are already under anesthesia and having liposuction done anyway. Expect some significant lip swelling. My personal recommendation to patients seeking lip augmentation is to stick to HA fillers (Juvederm etc) and repeat every 4-5 months.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Fat Transfer tor Lip augmentation

+1

. Hyaluronic Acid fillers (HA) such as Restylane and Jeuvederm are great for lip augmentation but have to be repeated every 1-2 years as are absorbable. Fat transfer is a good alternative and long lasting but amount of "take" of the fat varies from patient to patient. Despite this it is still one of my most favored techniques for lip augmentation in my practice.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Fat transfer to lips

+1

Unfortunately injected or even transplanted fat into the lips will resorb over time, usually less than a year. It can look great at first but ALWAYS dissappears over time. On the other hand a dermal-fat graft from the suprapubic area will have permanent augmentation....you can see examples of this at aventuraplasticsurgery.com

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon