Fat Transfer for Lip Augmentation?

If I have my own fat transferred to my lips, will I still swell as much? Is it permanent? If I have the fat removed from my neck, will there be nerve damage? Can I still take Zovirax to prevent break out/cold sores after the procedure?

Fat Grafting

+3

it is a good option for the lips. It is not permanent but after a few round it may be. So you have to think about it as a multiple step procedure where you may need to be injected a couple of more times.

I would continue with the zovirax while undergoing the surgery.

Yes you will have swelling, no different than any other injection given to the lip area.

Liposuction is a relatively safe procedure if done by the proper board certified plastic surgeon.

Good luck.

Fat grafting to the lips is unpredictable

+2

Since the lips are mobile, the results of fat grafting to the lips are unpredictable. Fat grafting to the mid-face (tear troughs, malar/cheek bone region) where there is less motion yields a better, more predictable result.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Fat injections in the lips

+2

Swelling of the lip may depend on the material being used as a filler. But some patients who swell a lot after a particular hyaluronic acid, such as Restylane (this happens rarely but does occur) may develop this reaction only once despite continued use. You can still swell significantly having your own fat used because the trauma stimulates a large fluid accumulation. Fat is more viscous, or thick, than many fillers, and may leave nodules or bumps in the lips. Most people find that fat doesn’t last too long in the lips because of all the motion that the lip muscle experiences. I have had patients treated elsewhere that have complained about their lips being too swollen many years after fat injection. In these cases it was no longer swelling but the fat injections “took” very well and caused an overcorrection. Small droplets of fat in the muscle, not the free space over the muscle, might induce a long term result, but swelling can be enormous for the first few weeks.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Disagree about swelling

+2

In my experience fat injection to the lips does lead to more and prolonged swelling. I feel that while fat is good in some areas the newer injectables like hyaluronic acid fillers are much more precise and less costly and in most cases may last just as long. And of course there is not donor site trauma!

S. Randolph Waldman, MD
Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon