Best Permanent Lip Augmentation

Is Lip augmentation via Fat grafting permanent? I'm thinking of having Lip augmentation done with Fat grafting. How much does it run? Is it permanent?

Lip augmentation

+5

You can use Restylane for lip augmentation , however the results are not permanent.

Fat transfer to the lips, done correctly is permanent and when done right is Not Lumpy.

Silicone injection is NOT legal and not condoned as a filler, It can cause SILICONE GRANULOMAS. The silicone was used extensively in the past, we should learn from the past experisnces with the terrible granulomas we saw later.

FAT IS SUPERIOR IN THE PROPER HANDS OF A BOARD CERTIFIED PLASTIC SURGEON.

Permanent lip augmentation methods

+3

We have a large series of lip augmentation patients who have had fascial-fat grafts from their own bodies (autologous nontraumatized fascial fat grafts). This method has proven very reliable at achieving soft, full results. We have found it to be much more reliable than fat injections, probably because the grafts do not need to be aspirated and then injected the way fat injections do. The grafts cannot be rejected because they come from the patient's own tissues.

I would strongly caution heavily against the use of silicone in any form for the lips, or any semi-permanent filler for that matter. Silicone and Artecoll and ArteFill can cause a huge chronic sweliing reaction over the years that becomes disfiguring and often uncorrectable in some patients.

Even patients injected with microdroplets of silicone can develop a blunting of the vermillion border and white roll of the lip that looks as though swollen lips had been sanded down. Silicone can run downhill and cause a very characteristic "trout lip" deformity over the years; several celebrities who have this have been public about their use of silicone.

Remember, anything but your own tissue has no defense against infection, or colonization, that is bacteria setting up shop in or on top of the filler.

Lip augmentation with fat grafting or autologous fascial fat grafts runs from $1500 to $5000 depending on the technique, anesthetic method, etc.

On a temporary basis, hyaluronic acid fillers such as Juvederm work beautifully and have low risks.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Lip Implants a Permanent Solution

+2

Several methods exist to plump up your lips. Fillers work very well but, of course, are not permanent. Fat injections are a bit unpredictable but can be a long-lasting solution.

My favorite procedure for lip augmentation is to use permanent , soft implants (PermaLip by Surgisil). They can be placed under local anesthesia in just a few minutes are the cosmetic result is wonderful. If for some reason you are unhappy with the appearance, the implants can be removed, although I have not had any patient request removal.

William M. Ramsdell, MD
Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

Permanent solution to lip enhancement

+2

Over the last 15 years the only permanent solution to lip enlargement that is natural looking and safe are dermal-fat graft from the suprapubic area. Fat alone is lumpy and dissappears quickly . Artifical implants are a disaster. Some fillers are nice but temporary. You can view this at aventuraplasticsurgery.com

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Permanent Lip Augmentation

+2

Hi there-

I would wholeheartedly agree with Dr. Moelleken- permanent lip augmentation by injection of silicone is too prone to long term complications and irreversible deformity for me to recommend it to my patients- no matter what the technique is. It may give you a pleasing initial outcome, but with time the silicone will absolutely coalesce and run (with gravity), causing deformity which can be impossible to improve once it has occurred.

Using your own tissues, and especially with fascial fat grafting, the pleasing initial result can be trusted to be maintained over the long term, without fear of migration or long term deformity.

Armando Soto, MD

Fat grafting may last 6 months or longer but has problems

+2

Fat grafting to the lips is not done much anymore by most physicians doing lip augmentations because the fat makes your lips look Donald Duck looking for 2 weeks and can resolve in 6 months and become uneven and bumpy for the $1500-2500 cost.

Lip implants have come a long way now and do great for permanent augmentation at 1500-2000 per lip and temporary fillers such as Restylane or Juvederm do nice for 3-9 months at 550 per syringe and usually require 1-2 syringes.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation

+1
Over the 20 years I have been injecting I have seen so many patients who have had "permanent" injections and were unhappy with the results.  Filler such as Restylane and Juvederm are ideal since they last a long time and as your face changes with aging, the filler that looks good today in your lips may not be the filler that you should have 20 years from now.

Michele S. Green, MD

Options for best permanent lip augmentation.

+1

In the face it is a good idea to start with something non permanent. The soft and hard tissue of the face will change with time. We usually start out with a hyaluronic acid based filler, (i.e.; juvederm, restylane).  Best to see a few experienced injectors and see what they offer.  The lips can look natural and still have the volume that you want.  The hyaluronic acid usually is soft, smooth, and kissable.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Lip Augmentation with Fat grafting

+1

Fat transfer is a good permanent option. Some surgeons also use silicon injections however make sure this is something you really want because "permanent" is permanent! You may regret the decision later. Also because it is permanent make sure you have a trained board certified surgeon perform this.

"Dr.D"

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Permanent Lip Augmentation

+1

Many of the posts have discussed the negative effects of silicone lip implants and I believe that most of them are referring to injectable silicone. This is not to be confused with the Permalip silicone implant. I have been using the Surgisil lip implant for about 4 years now and have seen great results. The Surgisil implant is soft and compressible, does not break down or become incorporated into the normal tissue, and I have not seen it negatively effect the normal lip tissue. It is not a way to achieve extremely large lips, but is a great way to achieve a natural result in which the normal volume of the lip has been permanently restored. 

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon