Lip Augmentation, Botox, Lip Plump - If I Were to Get This Procedure Done, Will I Need to Get It Done Again?

If I were to get this procedure done, will I need to get it done again in the future? How long do the results for this procedure last for?

Permanent lip augmentation

+2

We prefer either hyaluronic acid fillers for temporary augmentation or autologous fat-fascial grafts (LiveFill) for permanent lip augmentation.

In the majority of our patients, they have one single procedure and have a permanent benefit.

Studies conducted in our laboratories have shown superior survival of fat-fascial grafts compared with fat injection specimens.

Lip Augmentation

+1

As far as lip augmentation there are temporary and permanent fillers. When I have a first time lip augmentation patient, I always recommend for them to start off with hyaluronic acid fillers such as Restylane and Juvederm. These particular fillers are very forgiving, soft, natural and malleable, and if there were any complications, it can be dissolved with a substance called hyaluronidase. These fillers typically last from 3-6 months and most people find that they do not need to touch up their lips as frequently over time. You always the run the risk with permanent fillers. As we age, so does our skin and many times permanent fillers can distort the lips. I would recommend to try one of the hyaluronic acid fillers first to see how you would look with a more plump full lip.

Stacy Chimento, MD
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

How often to get fillers for Lip Augmentation and Botox for Lip lines.

+1

Botox to soften the lines around the mouth does need to be repeated at 3-6 month intervals to maintain the effects.  Lip Augmentation can be done using temporary fillers like Restylane and Juvederm or can be enhanced with lip implants like Alloderm and silastic lip implants for a more permanent effect.  I have used Alloderm Lip Implants for Lip Augmentation, for over 15 years and think it's the gold standard for Lip Augmentation.

If you use botox it usually wears off in about 3 months

+1

If you use botox it usually wears off in about 3 months if you use filler depending on the filler, it can last anywhere up to 6 months longer. As you do more treatments you tend to need less product, and treatments will last longer with lip augmentation procedures. For example, if you have Juvederm, you may have lip augmentation that lasts for a year or more.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

The difference between Botox and dermal fillers

+1

There’s a lot of confusion about the difference between Botox and dermal fillers. Dermal fillers are injectable products such as Restylane, Perlane, and Juvederm, which are used to add volume to various areas of the face. Common treatment areas include the lips, cheeks, nasolabial folds (lines that extend from the nasal corners to the corners of the mouth), chin area, around the mouth, and under the eyes. The duration of your treatment results are dependent on a number of factors, including the type of filler used, the area injected, and the technique and expertise of your injector. Generally speaking, temporary fillers may last an average of 6 to 12 months or longer, and in my practice, I have seen some fillers (especially when applied under the eyes) last upwards of 2 years without requiring a touch up. There is also evidence to show that repeated injections can cause some natural stimulation of your body’s own collagen, thereby producing an even longer term result. I have observed this effect in many of my lip enhancement patients.

Botox is an intra-muscular injection that quiets dynamic muscle activity/expressions. It is not a dermal filler, and therefore does not have the ability to fill in lines and wrinkles. However, it is somewhat preventative in keeping lines from worsening by means of inhibiting the normally active muscles from expressing as strongly. However, treatment must be repeated at regular intervals (every 3 to 4 months on average) in order to receive this longer term preventative effect.

Botox may be injected into muscles around the mouth to decrease the pursing movement which occurs when the mouth moves (it is not injected directly into the lips). This can help prevent upper and lower “lipstick lines,” and may help prolong the life of your lip filler. Botox in the upper lip can also lower the lip margin to decrease the amount of gum show above the teeth, minimizing a “gummy” smile.

When Botox is used in combination with dermal fillers (a treatment we may refer to as Soft Lift, based on the overall rejuvenated appearance it achieves), quite often it prolongs the duration of the filler. This happens because the muscles in the filled area are kept quiet, and are not “pushing” on the filler during expression.

Consult with an experienced Cosmetic Dermatologist in your area to determine the appropriate treatment course for your desired outcome.

Frances Jang, MD
Vancouver Dermatologic Surgeon

Fat grafting is great and long lasting way to enlarge and shape your lips

+1

With essentially almost all my face lifts I combine the use of fat grafting to enlarge and shape the lips. This can be done as a procedure in combination with other procedures or by itself. You may want to try some injectable such as Restaylan or Juvederm which will give you a chance to see if you like the results. If you are sure you want larger and better shaped lips go with the fat. Your surgeon will probably suggest other areas of your face that might be improved. This is an exciting and dynamic treatment. 

Carl W. 'Rick' Lentz III, MD

Lip augmentation usually needs to be repeated

+1

Hyaluronic acids, like Restylane and Juvederm, are most commonly used to augment the lips, and these products usually need to be re-injected 1 to 2 times per year.

Botox can be injected around the lips.  It weakens the muscle around the lip which can do two things: 1) decrease the fine lines that accentuate with movement, and 2) evert the lip a little in some people making the lip look a little fuller.

Permanent fillers, like fat and silicone, can be used to augment the lips, but many physicians choose not to use them.

Lawrence A. Osman, MD
Woodland Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Fat injection is best for lip augmentation

+1

Whenever you hear of multiple treatments for one problem, that means there is not one that is superior to the rest.  The perfect example is lip augmentation.  All fillers (artificial) are temporary eg. juvederm, restylane, any hyaluronic acid compound. Also all the various collagens.  Botox paralyzes muscle and is not a filler, so I don't use it in the lips.  Fat however is an excellent filler.  Some will resorb after treatment, however most will stay if properly harvested, prepared and injected.  Yes it may need to be repeated to achieve the desired fullness, but I think it is the best option we have. It works well in lips and nasolabial folds.

Randy Proffitt, MD
Mobile Plastic Surgeon

Temporary lip fillers are safe and effective

+1

Temporary lip fillers are safe and effective. The inconvenience is that they must be redone 1-2 times per year.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

All Injectable Facial Treatments Are Temporary

+1

While injectable facial treatments, like Botox and fillers, produce near immediate and wondrous aesthetic results, the price to be paid for their simplicity is their temporary effects. There has to be developed any permanent method of reducing unwanted facial expressions or to keep lips full and nasolabial folds diminished.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD