Lion-esque Nostrils? (photo)

ill just post a pic of my nostrils to help speed things up. theyre not terrible but a little odd. overall, im liking my new nose better but the nostrils are throwing me off. they look lion-ish to me. im a week and a couple days post op, and i know theres alot of swelling, but could someone please tell me a realistic image of what its going to look like? is it still going to be this visible? same shape, less visible?

Lion-esque nostrils?

+1

Hello, and glad to hear you are happy with your result overall. One week and a few days is very soon after your procedure, and you are right around the peak of your swelling. The swelling can cause your nostrils to appear obscure, and this will improve over time. It is difficult to provide you with advice on how you will heal without knowing more about the details of your surgery. The key element at this stage is patience, and it is going to take up to one year before you see the final result. To answer your question, the nose will generally be the same shape but likely more defined, depending on what was performed during surgery. Swelling and post-op appearance can be influenced by the following:

1) Whether the procedure was open or closed
2) Whether tip work was performed
3) Thickness of the patient's skin
4) Whether or not the procedure was a revision

I hope this information helps, and I would recommend consulting your surgeon for any current and additional concerns.

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lion-esque Nostrils?

+1

It is way too early to make any predictions on the outcome of a rhinoplasty.  Patience. Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Post rhinoplasty

+1

One week after surgery is way too early to determine you final outcome.  Things will change dramatically over the next several weeks to months.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

Donald Nunn, MD

Nostril and tip swelling shortly after rhinoplasty surgery

+1

The key word here is "patience." Swelling after rhinoplasty can be disconcerting in the first week, but rapidly decreases with time. I would say that about 70-80% of the swelling is still present at about the 2 week period, and 80-90% at the 1 month timeframe. Then it takes about a year for the rest of the swelling to dissipate. 

This also varies with location on the nose, and will vary with your own skin characteristics. Thicker skin and nasal tip skin (mainly because its thicker) both take longer.

Michael Kim, MD

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal size post op

+1

Your nasal size will surely decrease over time.  For the nasal tip it can take up to 6 months for all of the tissue edema and swelling to decrease.  

Nostril Shape 9 Days after Surgery

+1

At this time, swelling will make your nose look different than the final result. Give it a few months as it is not possible to predict how it will look based on a picture. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Lion-esque Nostrils one week post rhinoplasty

+1

Thank you for your question.  I would recommend to be patient.  Your nostrils are swollen.  and your surgery is very recent.  Most of us plastic surgeons perform the rhinoplasty via internal nostril incisions and the healing is ALWAYS accompanied with swelling within the nostrils themselves.  It may take several weeks and months to get the final results.  Sleep elevated if you can, and be patient.  If you are still worried, visit your plastic surgeon.  Hope this helps!  Toronto Plastic Surgeon and Rhinoplasty expert, Dr. Marc DuPere  416.929.9800

Marc DuPéré, MD