Small Lines or Gaps After Rhinoplasty

I am 5 weeks post Rhinoplasty and have two dark lines next to either side of the bridge of my nose. It looks like I have been wearing glasses when I have not. The two lines are going down from the top part of nose and are very visible. When I feel along the lines, they feel like there is a gap of a few milimetres. I am scared the gaps will stay and leave dark lines permanently.

Dark lines can occur underneath the eyes

+1

Even though it has only been five weeks status post rhinoplasty, there are dark lines that can occur underneath the eyes, along with dark circles. This will subside in time. Visible gaps across the bridge of the nose, even though a few millimeters, can be related to an open roof deformity if the hump was removed and the nasal bones were not narrowed.

These lines from your rhinoplasty will probably resolve

+1

The lines you are feeling are most likely fracture lines in the bones that were created to narrow or straighten them. If your bones were wide or crooked, then the surgeon must create these cuts in the bones in order to manipulate them to the desired shape.

If there was a lot of narrowing accomplished, you can sometimes feel a little gap in this area which can be perceived as a small 'step-off' in appearance.

Don't worry too much, though. Five weeks is still very early after surgery. The bones will heal and the apparent gap should diminish in most situations.

Talk to your surgeon to confirm the cause for this appearance. This rarely ever becomes a long-term problem, and usually only when the bony cuts were made too high near the bridge. You have reason to be reassured at this point.

All the best for a great nose.

Jason Litner, MD

Lines after Rhinoplasty probably not permanent

+1

It is too soon to tell what the nose will look like. You should wait at least 6-12 months before being concerned. It is only what you see and not what you feel that will be a problem. Don't worry, be happy!