Is It Common to Use 6.0 Nylon Stitches Inside of Nose During Rhinoplasty?

I see in the post op report from my primary (8 years ago) that 6.0 nylon was used to suture together my LLC, to place a columella graft, and to connect the ULC to septum. I was wondering if these sutures are normally used for this. I do need a revision and was also wondering if I get one if it is necessary to remove these sutures at that time? It is difficult to do so and should I expect complications? THanks!

Nylon in the nose

+1

It is very common among serious high-end rhinoplasty surgeons to use clear 6-0 nylon in the nose to effect structural changes. I myself have done so for thirty years with excellent results and no problems at all. If you are in need of revision surgery your surgeon will hopefully have the experience to deal with the prior work and sutures that may be present. 

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nylon is common

+1

While I do not use nylon sutures in a nose, it is certainly common and acceptable.  Yes, the sutures may need to be removed. 

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

In a Rhinoplasty there are many techniques to refine and reduce the cartilage structures within the nasal tip and upper lateral cartilages.  A permenent suture (nylon) is often used to sutures cartilage together...while incisions are typically closed with a chromic suture that dissolves.

+1

Dear 11704,

Thank you for your question.  It was probably more common to use clear 6.0 nylon at the time of your surgery.  I use PDS suture which is a dissolvable suture because by the time the suture dissolves, the caritlage is locked in place and does not move.  It is not difficult to take out the old nylon sutures in a revision, however, as we dissect the tissue right off of the carilage were the sutures are placed.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

6-0 nylon sutures during rhinoplasty

+1

6-0 nylon sutures  used and rhinoplasty were probably used to either suture the tip cartilages together or place a cartilage graft. As long as they are not infected, creating a suture granuloma, or stitch abscess  it is best to leave them alone during your revision surgery.

Revision Rhinoplasty - Are Permanent Sutures Used

+1

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am sorry you need a revision and I hope this will be your last operation. In both primary and revision rhinoplasty, suture preference is largely surgeon dependent.  Ask 5 surgeons and you will get 5 different answers. As for permanent sutures, both nylon and polypropylene sutures are frequently used. In open septorhinoplasty, they are used for external skin closure and may be used to secure select grafts internally. For most grafts, a permanent suture is not required as scarring will maintain a graft in the proper position by the time the absorbable suture is gone. During a revision, only the sutures that impede the correction of your functional or cosmetic issue need to be removed. It is not difficult to remove the sutures and you should not expect complications from the suture removal. Thank you again. Take care.

Robert Brobst, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and Sutures Used

+1

Each Surgeon has his or her preference of suture for different situations.  The sutures used 8 years ago will not be an issue regarding your revision.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Sutures Used for Rhinoplasty

+1

Different surgeons have different preferences regarding sutures, and 6-0 nylon should not be an issue- it certainly shouldn't "complicate" your revision.  That said- any suture can cause a skin reaction or even extrude over time. Luckily, this is very rare in the nose.

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon