Is it possible to have a Liposculture and face lifting at the same time/procedure? What are the risks?... if any.

Is it possible to have a liposculture and face lifting at the same time/procedure? What are the risks?... if any. Thank you Primavera13

Liposuction, Facelift

+2
Yes, liposuction can  be done at the same time as a facelift.  I do this commonly in my practice as I am often transferring fat to the face to add volume.  Some factors must be considered however.  I limit areas of liposuction when paired with additional surgery.  I use tumescent anesthesia for both procedures which has to be limited based on a number of factors including the patient's weight.  If you are planning general anesthesia this raises additional issues.  An experienced liposuction surgeon will most likely be aware of these factors.  Find someone you trust for an in depth analysis and consultation.

Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Face lifting and liposculture

+2
hello. thanks for the question, very interesting. the number of procedures performed in a surgery will depend on many factors, the most important of these is your health.
facelift can be performed with liposuction in nearby areas and this potentiates the results.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Liposuction and facelift surgery are frequently performed together

+2
Absolutely. Liposuction is a nice complement to facelift surgery and can create additional contouring and skin tightening in properly selected patients. The only additional risk that liposuction adds is the potential for a contour deformity if fat is removed too aggressively or in an inconsistent fashion.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2
Absolutely. This is termed a volumetric facelift.

There are always risks with any procedure, I'm afraid.  Thankfully these can be minimised by seeking the right surgeon, with the necessary expertise and by preparing yourself,  too (eg. stop smoking, if you smoke, stop certain medication (blood thinners), control blood pressure). Generally, risks depend on the method of anaesthetic, commonly general anaesthetic and the surgery (depending on what type of facelift you have):
Infection
Bleeding
Abnormal scarring
Making you too tight
Making you not tight enough
Asymmetry
Wound healing delays
Nerve injuries leading to patches of numbness and patches of weakness
Incomplete removal of all your lines and wrinkles
Areas of hair loss near the scars that sometimes need to be put into the hairline
A higher hairline than before
Areas of rippling around the cheeks where the muscles are tightened
Revision surgery with time (eg. weight gain or weight loss)
The fact that surgery does not last forever and the exact length of time that surgery lasts cannot be predicted - the surgery can turn the clock back, but it doesn't stop it ticking

Additional complications from liposuction,  in the area where the fat is borrowed from (infection, bruising, swelling, contour irregularity) and also the risks of where the fat is put into (as with liposuction and over-correction, under-correction, asymmetry, more fat grafting).

I talk around most of this when I see patients for this sort of procedure. 

I would recommend you see an accredited plastic surgeon who can talk you through which facelift is suitable for you and a bit more around the risks, specific to the technique.

Good luck. 

Alok Misra, MBBS, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Facelift and liposuction at the same time.

+2
Facelift and liposuction at the same time are best done together since fat can be removed under direct vision and more skin can be removed. The risk of this should be no more than a facelift alone and is primarily hematoma. 

Fat grafting & facelift

+2
It is certainly possible to combine these two modalities if a patient is a suitable candidate. We presented our experience with this combined approach in nearly 500 patients, and many surgeons have begun incorporate this into their approach. The facelift addresses skin excess and laxity, whereas the focused micro cannula liposuction and fat grafting help address the changes that occur in terms of fat distribution in the aging face.  Liposculpture can smooth the jowls, perioral mounds, and under the chin effectively.  Some risks of focused liposuction include poor blood flow to/damage to the skin, contour irregularities or asymmetries, damage to surrounding structures, etc. As with any procedure, find a board-certified surgeon who is experienced with the techniques involved!

Erik Hoy, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Liposculpture and Facelift combination

+1
Yes it is possible to do a lipoesculpture and a facelift during the same surgery. There will be factors that will determine if it can be done such as healthy history, blood work results, and the extent of the work needed to be done. The best candidates are healthy, in a good weight range, good blood results and realistic expectations. 

Alfonso Gonzalez Cepeda, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafting and Face lifting

+1
I think it is a great idea to combine fat grafting and face lifting during the same procedure, and I do this quite often. You are volumizing the face at the same time as tightening musculature and removing excess skin.  The two procedures work beautifully together and result in one recovery and one anesthetic which is nice for the patient.  

The downside to combining both procedures is that you add additional operative time/expense and you tend to be more swollen for several weeks.

Hope that helps!   

Jenifer L. Henderson, MD
Silverdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Face lifting and other procedures

+1
Time is the factor.  I like to get the facelift patient off the table as soon as possible to prevent any more swelling.  A few hours of liposuction before for after can lead to unnecessary swelling.  Just my bias.

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

Combining liposculpture with facelifts

+1
are done routinely and completely safe in my opinion.  If it extends your procedure time to greater than 6 hours, some risks start creeping into the recovery picture but I personally have not experienced that.  If you're considering fat grafting and liposuction of the face at the same time as the facelift, there are some challenges in hitting home runs and perfect results/symmetry.

Curtis Wong, MD