Exactly How Limited Am I?

At 1 week post op mastopexy, submuscular silicone breast implants, how limited am I as far as lifting? Can I hold my 13lb. baby? I'm nervous to even lift a gallon of milk. I'm so afraid of doing damage to my new breasts and ruining my final result. What do I need to avoid to prevent capsillary contracture?

Exactly How Limited Am I

+2

A gallon of milk is often the standard limit quoted after breast surgery, and that weighs about 8 to 9 pounds. So long as you are careful, you should be able to hold your baby, even though he/she is above that threshold. It is most unlikely that lifting that amount could do anything that might disrupt the suture lines or affect the implant position. 

As far as capsular contracture, follow your surgeon's instructions for massaging the breasts and the implants. Your surgeon's instructions about all activities should hold precedence over any opinions you may read here!

Thanks fro your question, best wishes.

Post Operative Restriction After Mastopexy With Implant

+2

1 week post-op is quite early for any type of heavy lifting. In my practice I recommend a good 4 to 6 weeks with a weight limit of no more than a gallon of milk. This should give you enough time to heal the muscle, which if stressed too early may bleed and require a re-operation.

As for avoiding a capsular contracture, unfortunately there is not much that can be done. One can begin early implant movement, however this is based on surgeon preference and how your progressing in your healing.

The most important thing this early on in your recovery is to continue to follow up with your surgeon and communicate your concerns. They are the best to guide you as they  know the extent of what was done.

Good luck.

Pedro M. Soler, Jr., MD

Downtime Following Breast Augmentation with Lift

+2

I ask my patients to refrain from exercise for 3 weeks following a simple breast augmentation.  If you had a lift with your procedure, and depending on the extent of that lift, 4 weeks is the waiting time in my practice.  Of course, the time you will need to heal will depend on what your doctor did for you in your procedure, how you are healing, and their suggestions based on their experience.  

I suggest to my patients with smooth implants that they massage their breasts.  In my experience, I find that patients who massage enjoy softer breasts with greater mobility of the implants.  Ask you doctor if they suggest massage in your case.   Best wishes!

Stephen Bresnick, MD

Breast implants and acitvity

+2

Usually patients in my practice are instructed not to lift heavy objects for about 6 weeks.  you should talk to your surgeon.

Restrictions after breast surgery

+2

Your plastic surgeon should be able to give you his/her normal post-operative restrictions.  Normally a gallon jug of milk is okay for the next few weeks.  Capsular contracture will occur on its own if it occurs.  There is a medication you can take if it starts to develop that have decreased its severity.   Talk to your plastic surgeon about your concerns.

Robert Kratschmer, MD

Limitations

+2

There is nothing you can do to prevent capsular contracture. As fas as your restrictions, that is up to your PS. Ask him or her.

Michael Hueneke, MD

Activities After Breast lift with breast implants

+2

Instructions vary according to the actual procedures. Only your surgeon can give you the right answers.

Please go back to your surgeon and ask all your questions related to your surgery.

Subramaniam Arumugam, MD
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Return to Activity after Breast Surgery?

+2

Your best resource is your your plastic surgeon; he/she knows exactly what operation was performed, how you are progressing, and is ultimately responsible for your care. Online consultants' advice may be confusing...

Activities to avoid after a breast lift / augment

+1

Normal activities will most likely have not long term effects on your breasts.  Just be careful and avoid activities that make the breasts bounce up and down.  Moderation of activities is the key after breast surgery.  It is the repetitive bouncing up and down that you want to avoid.  Also it helps to wear a well fitting bra.