How Limited is Labiaplasty Laser Surgery in Regards to Precision and Natural Beauty?

Why are scalpels used more often if a laser is generally considered safer?

Laser Labiaplasty Can Be A More Gentle Procedure

+1

Thank you for your question. Be aware that the use of Lasers in surgery is a controversial topic and objective opinion is often hard to find.

I have used laser surgical techniques on delicate tissues such as the eyelids and lbai for many years and prefer this technique.

My reasons for this preference are;

• The laser seals blood vessels as it cuts-less bleeding
  • Less bleeding requires less clamping and cautery to control bleeding
  • Less clamping and cautery causes less trauma to the tissues
  • Less trauma to the tissues improves healing

I agree the skill of your surgeon is most important, however I would never place a crushing surgical clamp on delicate tissue like the Labia.

Laser Labiaplasty

+1

As most of my colleagues have pointed out, the use of a laser in labiaplasty surgery is neither good or bad. The laser cuts and coagulates tissue with a controlled burn. A scalpel simply cuts the tissue very precisely and then bleeding is controlled with a micro needle electrocautery (which coagulates the bleeding points). In both cases very little damage is done. But the operation is not what instrument makes the cuts, it is what technique the surgeon employs to sculpt the tissue and then repair them. Does he simply excise the excess or does he perform a wedge excision. How precise are the sutures and how skilled is the surgeon? So I say to you, let the buyer beware! The use of a laser is a good marketing tool but implies nothing about the final results of the surgery. You need to make sure that you have a board certified experienced surgeon performing the surgery who has skill and artistry. Ask to see many before and after pictures. I hope this helps.

Regards,

Daniel A. Medalie, MD

Daniel A. Medalie, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Laser is not safer....laser is a selling tool.

+1

I have been doing this operation for about ten years. The scalpel is safer and more precise. Your time is better spent figuring out what technique you prefer and the surgeon rather than the way the surgery is to be done.

The laser is a selling tool. Theoretically it could burn the patient or make the wounds less likely to heal well as it burns to an extent by definition. It is certainly not safer.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Laser labiaplasty results provide exceptional results - best labiaplasty procedure

+1

In my practice, both laser labiaplasty and traditional labiaplasty provide outstanding results and high patient satisfaction for both functional and cosmetic labia minora reduction. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Labiaplasty Technique - Does it matter?

+1

Labiaplasty, which most commonly involves surgical reduction of the labia minora (inner/thinner lips), has become a relatively common procedure over the last ten and even more so last five years.  Whether the surgery is done using a laser, scalpel, or scissors does not really matter but what does matter is "symmetry".  Symmetry is the most important aspect to the final aesthetic result.  Also, it's not how much tissue is removed but how much is left remaining because a certain amount is necessary to maintain proper form and function.  To achieve these two most important elements, it is extremely important to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in this operation (does at least 1 - 2 per week).  It may cost you a bit more but it this type of result you will want to live with for the rest of your life.  Typical (all inclusive) fee at my office/surgery center is $4500. 

Ryan Stanton, MD

Labiaplasty Laser Surgery

+1

Surgical research has repeatedly shown that laser is NOT superior to a scalpel incision. On the contrary, in good hands, a scalpel incision NEVER burns and destroys tissues as does a laser. As a result, surgeons rely on "cold steel" for safety rather than using laser heat to cut tissues when accuracy and healing are at stake.

One last comment, whenever someone touts "ANYTHING laser" (laser labioplasty, laser breast surgery, laser tonsil removal, laser hemorrhoidectomy etc) as being superior you would bed wise to assume you are dealing with unscrupulous marketer at best. Prepare to be taken advantage of.

Labia Minora Reduction and Tools?

+1

The results and safety of the labia minora reduction procedure ( and other plastic surgical procedures) depend more on the surgeon's skill,  experience,  and judgment than on the specific tool ( for example,laser or scalpel)  used.

I am not aware of any literature or experience that shows “laser is generally considered safer”. Be careful about the source of information you receive.