Limitations of Hair Transplant?

I have a 2 cm. linear scar within my beard as a result of a mole removal I had last year. Can I get hair transplant over this type of scar? Does the transplanted hair suvive within such scar?

Limitationsof hair

+1

Yes, hair can be transplanted into a scar. Scars can sometimes have a different blood supply than the adjacent tissue, but hair can survive to this area.

Hair Transplant for scar

+1

The most important aspect of a hair transplant to the beard area is the type of hair on the head and whether it will match a beard.  Some individuals have a very close match of the beard hair and the hair on their head.  Those are the best candidates for hair transplants to the the beard area. 

Jack Fisher, MD

Transplant into scar

+1

This is an ideal job for follicular unit grafting. You should be able to transplant hair from the back of your scalp directly into the scar with good results and then  have a well camouflaged scar.  Occasionally in scars there might be a slightly lower take but this can easily be compensated for with a few more graft hairs

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair transplant into a scar

+1

Yes, it works.  Transplanted hair will grow into a scar nicely.  The only question I have is, have you thought about discussing scar revision with a facial plastic surgeon?  It's likely that the person who removed the mole did not respect the direction of growth of the surrounding hair follicles.  If you cut or injure the follicles you can get a bald patch in your beard that is very noticeable.  If you, when revising a scar in the beard, parallel the follicles, refrain from cauterizing or otherwise traumatizing the tissue and carefully put everything back together, the final scar will probably be better than transplants.

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Transplant into a scar

+1

I typically recommend patients wait 8 months before having hair transplants into a scar- but yes, the procedure is usually quite successful, with over 80% of the hairs growing. To compensate for this lower percentage of hair growth, I will transplant around 20% more hairs into the scar, so as to get the same essential coverage.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Follicular Unit Extraction may be your best bet

+1

Hi there-

Given the location of the scar, it may be difficult to achieve the best outcome from scar revision (I would need to examine you to be sure...)

An excellent alternative for you to consider would be to have hair transplanted into the scar.

This is only a good option if it can be done for you in the Follicular Unit Extraction technique, in which hair is harvested and then grafted in individual follicular units.

In my Orlando Plastic Surgery, Skin Care, and Hair Restoration Center, we are trained in the use of an amazing new technology for hair restoration, called the Neograft- this would be an excellent option for you. Unfortunately, there are not many of these devices in the US as of yet- but if you can find someone near you trained in its use, I think you would achieve the fill you desire.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Hair Transplants in Facial Scars

+1

I  recommend excision and fine closure of a 2 cm scar rather than transplants. Hair transplants can be used to refine the revised scar if necessary.

Excision is a better option

+1

What you describe is a fairly small area. Though hair transplantation may work, it is less than optimal in an area of scar. The better option would be to excise the scar and close the area with meticulous technique. This will likely produce superior results.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Possible to hair graft over scar

+1

Grafting into the scar is possible and the hair will survive. Having said that, this is usually my second choice! Proper excision and closure by an experienced plastic or facial plastic surgeon should give superior results.