Limitations of Augmentation Rhinoplasty on Far East Asians?

In this case I have a stubby nose with excessive nasal flaring, THICK skin and a bulbous tip - mostly seen in many southern- far east asian countries such as southern china. What are the limitations of augmentation, how far can surgery increase the length of this type of nose especially one with not much skin (thick) and which material (biological, man-made) can achieve the best definition.

Limitations of augmentation Asian rhinoplasty

+1
Although silicone L-strut implants can achieve the most dramatic results, it comes at the price of a slew of potential complications.  While these silicone implants can achieve the most tip refinement, over time the pressure exerted by these implants tends to thin the skin.  This causes the implant to become visible and appear unnautral, or even extrude through the skin.
Using your own tissue (autologous grafts) such as rib cartilage, can also achieve dramatic and dynamic refinement and augmentation of your nose, but in a much more safe and permanent manner.  Consultation with an experienced rhinoplasty specialist will give you an accurate idea of how significant a change is possible.   

Improvement sure but to what extent? Skin is key.

+1

Every rhinoplasty case is unique.  That said there are many common characteristics to Asian rhinoplasty.  You have pointed out several.  Generally, one wishes to raise tip projection and nasal bridge height, which effectively thins the skin somewhat by stretching it from within.  The amount it can safely stretch is the key.

My personal preference is to use rib or septal cartilage to raise the bridge.  Ear cartilage can be a bit risky as it is not inherently straight.  Although rib cartilage has the risk of warping, in skilled hands this is rarely an issue.  I would avoid artificial implants as I  have seen multiple problems with these but many surgeons have had success with a minimum of complications. 

Colin Pero, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Septal and ear cartilage can be used to build up the dorsum.  An implant could be used as well.  It is important to know the positives and negatives of both approaches and make a joint decision with your plastic surgeon.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA                       

Asan augmentation rhinoplasty

+1

it is difficult to discuss limitations with regard to projection and length.  with that said I would recommend rib cartilage. 

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

Nasal Implants and Ethnic Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

The success of nasal implants has to do with the surgeons skill not the type of implant used. Nasal implants only fail when the surgeon chooses the wrong shape, size and placement technique. Therefore search for a surgeon that can show you good  long term results regardless of the type of implant used. See link and video below.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Augmentation Rhinoplasty in Asian Patients

+1

Over the last 35 years doing rhinoplasty surgery on many Asian patients in California I have augmented many noses using the patient's own cartilage. While thick skin can be a limiting factor definition is always improved. I've avoided the use of synthetics such as silicone where there is a risk of movement, extrusion, and infection. Reducing the base of the nose where it joins the upper lip is also frequently done.