What Are the Limitations of Areola Reduction Surgery.

Hi. I am very unhappy with the appearance of my breasts. I am 32 years old and had my last child 10 years ago. Breastfeeding caused my areola to stretch out, and they are no longer round or symmetrical. I have been considering a breast lift, but wondered if reducing the areola alone would be enough. As I understand it the recovery and possible complications of this are less than a full lift. Any advice and information is so appreciated!

Do the full procedure

+3

ur problem is brast ptosis and u can say large areolae,

my advice is mastopexy to get tje best shape ,a periareolar approch    (doing only the areola area) will give u a flat appearance and will not give you the right shape

Saudi Arabia Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift Surgery VS. Around the Areola Lift VS. Areola Reduction Surgery

+3

Dr Aldea is right on point. You requested less surgery for big improvement. The much appreciated posted photo allows us to see the asymmetry and volume differences. Depending on exactly what you desire will determine the surgical course of action. In my opinion an areolar lift only will accomplish very little. Seel opinions in person. 

+3

Regarding: " What Are the Limitations of Areola Reduction Surgery.
Hi. I am very unhappy with the appearance of my breasts. I am 32 years old and had my last child 10 years ago. Breastfeeding caused my areola to stretch out, and they are no longer round or symmetrical. I have been considering a breast lift, but wondered if reducing the areola alone would be enough. As I understand it the recovery and possible complications of this are less than a full lift. Any advice and information is so appreciated
!"

Good Question. Had your breasts been full, symmetrical and perky with the only defect being irregular large areolas then an areolar reduction surgery would have been the answer.

Had the breast been symmetrical and very minimally sagging with large areolas then an around the areolas breast lift would have both reduced the areolas and lifted the breasts.

But, in your case, the breasts are asymmetric with different volumes and sagging, have significant sagging and have large and irregular areolas. You would do best with a formal breast lift my preference is the Short Scar Breast Lift techniques (Hall-Findlay Technique) with either a reduction of the left breast OR a Lift and augmentation with a larger breast implant on the right / smaller on the left. This would make the breast more symmetric, make the breasts perkier and reduce and reposition the areolas. NONE of this can be accomplished by an areolar reduction surgery.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Pick the Effective Procedure

+2

Areola reduction is not a very good operation. It may further flatten your breasts and leave you with poor scars. By observing your single frontal photograph it seems that you will benefit more with a breast lift which will also reduce the size of your areolas.

Ivan Thomas, MD (retired)

Areola reduction vs true breast lift

+2

All you will get out of areola reduction is smaller areolas.  No improvement in shape, tone or size.  Areola reduction without augmentation with implants is very rare.  A true lift will give you a much better shape.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS