What Can Limit or Prevent Blue Peel Results?

I recenty had a blue peel on my face, neck and chest. Most of my face & neck didn't peel at all or had very light peeling (like a sunburn). My chest hasn't peeled and doesn't seem at day 5 that it's going to peel.

I had a few patches on my face that formed dry brownish skin that peeled & left pink skin. This is what I expected all over. I feel that something went wrong in my application. What in the application process can limit results (timing, uneven application, limited time on skin)? Thanks.

Obagi Blue Peel and Melarase creams for pigmentation

+1

The depth of the peel has many variables.  A Blue Peel is an excellent modality to improve skin quality.  I combine the Obagi Blue Peel with Melarase creams to limit post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. 

Minimal Results from a Blue Peel

+1

It sounds as if your peel was a very light one.  All of the factors in the application process you mentioned (and more) can limit the results. I believe that all TCA peels (such as a Blue Peel) should be done by experienced physicians only.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

It's not the peel, its the Peeler!

+1

You did not say if this was done by a physician, nor do I know what kind of pre-treatment protocol or prep was done to the skin. Blue peel is a proprietary TCA peel often delegated to staff. The color changes with varying penetration to help a non-physician better guess the depth of penetration. You obviously received a light peel. Many of them, sequentially over months, will give a lovely glow to the skin and dark spots and pores will be reduced. You may want a heavier peel for more dramatic results with fewer sessions. Please talk to your dermatologist about your expectations, ability to do social downtime, and other factors that would impact the results.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist