Likelihood That I'll Bounce Back After Removal?

25, non-smoker, getting implants removed after only having them for about 3 months. I know no one can tell, but what's the likelihood that I'll go back to where I was? I want them out, but now I'm scared of the outcome. :(

+1

The sooner the implants are removed, the more likely the return to the preoperative anatomy.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Explantation fears

+1

Tinaham: Explantation is almost as scary as putting them in.  Many patients 2nd guess themselves, feel isolated, and have few support systems.  Reach out to the RealSelf community of explantees, many of whom are willing to share their experiences.  In the absence of a photo, my remarks are somewhat "generic", however here is my approach.

Breast implants do stretch out all components of the breast, starting from the skin, breast tissue proper, nipple-areolar complex and muscle.  The extent of the stretch depends on the implant profile, volume, type (saline vs silicone) and time since placement.  Other variables which may influence the breast's contractile ability is the presence or absence of sufficient scar tissue (capsule), which may complicate the situation.  In your favor are your non-smoking status and relatively short time since implantation, which should encourage retraction or shrinkage of your tissues. What isn't clear is whether your skin is intrinsically "stretchy", how low your nipple was positioned on your chest wall and whether the implants caused stretch marks.  These historical factors may make complete "bounce back" less likely.  Hope this helps a little.   

Lavinia Chong, MD

Likelihood That I'll Bounce Back After Breast Implant Removal?

+1

You are correct, in that there is not enough information provided here, to  provide you with meaningful advice or prediction. However, generally speaking, unless you have undergone breast augmentation with very large breast implants ( given factors of youth and time after augmentation),  you should “bounce back” to close to where you were before breast augmentation surgery.

Your plastic surgeon, will be your best resource for more precise advise/predictions.  You may also find the attached link helpful to you.