What is the Likeliness of Having Capsular Contracture or Other Complications Post-Op Breast Augmentation?

Hello, I am booked in for a BA 26 days from now. Still torn whether to go under or over, have been told i can have either, overs are more desirable to me at the moment purely because i feel my pec muscles are very active, as in i can see my current boob move even when i slightly move... BUT i am worried about capsular contracture incidence in over the muscle implants and other complications.. from experience can you tell me how likely these occurr?

Breast Implant Positioning

Hi there-

Without seeing you for a consultation and examination, it would be difficult to make a responsible, definitive recommendation....

In general, however, the best way for me to answer your question is to say that if your were my sister, wife, or mother, there is no way I would let you have implants placed above your muscle. The long term outcome and the complications this will lead to over time will almost always become a source of regret for you.

Over vs. Under the muscle and capsular contracture

While there is no hard data on why capsular contracture happens, it does happen significantly less when the implants are submuscular. If I had to give an approximate percentage, in my own opinion, it seems that roughly 5% submuscular and 25% subglandular experience this issue.  However, some women will look nicer with implants over the muscle, it's as simple as that. Without seeing your before pictures, I can't commit on which would be the best approach for you. I hope this helps you.

Jeffrey Hartog, MD