I Would Like to Have a Tummy Tuck at the Same Time As my Hysterectomy. Do You Think It's Too Risky?

I have a history of GERD and I quit smoking 8 wks ago, otherwise I am in good health.

+2

Combining a tummy tuck with hysterectomy, in the absence of any risk factors, has not been shown to increase risk of complications. The reason why most plastic surgeons do not perform it is because it has to be done at the hospital as an in-patient and most plastic surgeons prefer the outpatient setting, usually of their own facility. I personally have performed many such combined procedures and I have not noticed any increased risk of complications. The added advantage is that since hysterectomy is usually covered by insurance, most hospitals will consider a discount on the tummy tuck portion of their charges.

Tummy Tuck with Hysterectomy

+2

This is a very common procedure in my practice.  If you are otherwise healthy, it is common to combine these procedures because it involves only one operation/recovery/downtime versus 2 separate ones.

It is most important that your ob/gyn and plastic surgeon work frequently together or communicate a plan, such that time under anesthesia is minimized and safety optimized.

I would recommend consulting with a plastic surgeon based on your ob/gyn recommendation.

Dr. Gill

Web reference: http://www.drpaulgill.com

Tummy tuck and hysterectomy

+2

it is very common to undergo a tummy tuck and a hysterectomy at the same time.  The riskiest thing about your procedure is the fact that you are a recent smoker.  I like to wait until you have been nicotine free for 3 months.  Best of luck.

Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and hysterectomy

+2

It depends on a number of factors. I did this for my nurse but I know my blood loss from a tummy tuck is less then 2 ounces and the OB/GYN was really good. It worked out just fine. You can review the contreversy online. Dr.Aston commented on this topic about a year ago. Good Luck!

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Can you combine a tummy tuck with Hysterectomy

+2

when a tummy tuck is combined with a hysterectomy the overal surgical risk increases much more than when these procedures are done separately, therefore most plastic surgeons advice against it.

Web reference: http://www.anewfigure.com

+2

Unless this upcoming surgery is months in the offing, I would not recommend doing these at the same time. Most surgeons recommend separate procedures. But in the case of a recent smoker, the wound healing risks seem less acceptable given an intra-abdominal procedure at the same time. 

All the best. 

Combining tummy tuck with hysterectomy

+1

are commonly done.  Ask your GYN if he/she is willing to work with a plastic surgeon.  The only tough part is if you do have a post-op problem, which doctor is going to 'own it'?  Make sure you know that in case something does happen.

+1

A very common question. First lets look at the medical issues. A longer surgery thus higher risks of complications. A team approach between your GYN and PS is a must and should be a happy relationship. In some cases the GYN should recommend the PS vs you recommending one. But it truly depends upon the GYN feelings if he/she can work with the PS. Also the risks of blood loss might necessitate a transfusion. Are you OK with that? Now from the business side, you will still have to pay for the hospital/anesthesia fees for the cosmetic portion of the surgery. NO insurance today will pick up these fees. In my hospital in MIami theses fees approach $6,000 + my fees.. Good luck

Abdominoplasty and hyst.

+1

While there may be a slight increase in risk,  having an abdominoplasty done at the same anesthetic are the hysterectomy is a reasonable procedure.   In our practice the use of Progressive tension sutures allows us to ambulate our patients in an upright protsure the evening of surgery,  which reduces the risks of blood clots, pneumonia, etc  Further, all effort is made to minimize the time of surgery.  . However, to make this important decision,  you  should discuss this question with your gynecologist and seek consultation with a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  General information and opinions can be obtained on the internet,  but specific, meaningfull information can only be obtained in a face to face, thorough consultation with a qualified surgeon..