Do These Look Like Tuberous Breasts? (photo)

Hello all, I am hoping some of you could offer your professional opinions on whether or not I would qualify as having the tuberous breast deformity. For reference, I wear around a 32 B, age mid-20s, no children. They look a little better than usual in these pictures because I have gained a little weight, but once I dip below about 135#, they deflate even more. They only look okay when I am really cold and the nipples contract or, of course, when I have a padded bra on. Thank you!

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
They are not classic tuberous breasts as tuberous breasts usually have a constricted base and a large areola with herniation of the areola, I think you would benefit from augmentation though to improve shape

Are My breasts tuberous?

+1

You don't meet the classic definition of tuberous breasts.  However, you do have some ptosis (drooping of the breasts) and a narrower than average base diameter of the breasts.  Your options include a breast augmentation with a lift (with incisions around the areola only) vs just a breast lift.  I would encourage you to consult with 2-3 board certified plastic surgeons in your area. 

Best of Luck, 

Dr. Weider

Laurence Weider, MD

What's in a name?

+1

Hi there-

Whether or not someone calls your breasts "tuberous" should not affect you perception of them or the options available to you for improvement if you desire it.

There are excellent options available to you for achieving a prettier shape and size if this is important to you, but whether or not we call them tuberous does not change these options their chances of success.

Don't worry about the label.

Visit a few excellent surgeons and review your options for achieving the goal you have in mind.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Tuberous breasts?

+1

No you do not have the tuberous deformity, but you have saggy deflated breasts. I recommend generous sized implants to fill out the skin and give you some cleavage. You can pick the exact amount of fullness you want.  A nipple lift if needed should be done later for more precise result. 

Lawrence Foster, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Are My Breasts Tuberous?

+1

Dear Andrea22,

Thank you for your question and the photos.  The definition of tuberous breasts requires a narrow breast base and an enlarged nipple-areola complex with some herniation of breast tissues through the nipple.  Using this definition you do not have tuberous breasts but instead have ptotic breasts; breasts with a sagging appearance.  This can be corrected with a combination of procedures including a breast augmentation and a mastopexy- a breast lift.  Exactly which type of breast lift would be recommended does require an examination.  While you express frustration with your breast appearance, the good news there are options that can be preformed to give you the aesthetic breast look you desire.  Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who can best guide you.  Hope this helps.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous (constricted base) breast deformity

+1

Tuberous breast deformity, also known as constricted base deformity, describes breasts with narrow bases and wide tips, usually with some degree of herniation of breast tissue into the areola ("poofy nipples").  Your breasts have narrow bases and lack a classic cone shape, but I would hesitate to call them deformed.

A simple breast augmentation with some peri-areolar skin excision should provide you with a nice result.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Not tuberous breast deformity according to specific definition

+1

The short answer is that no, most plastic surgeons would not diagnose you as having tuberous breast deformity.  The classic definition of tuberous  breast deformity is an overtly tight and high infra-mammary fold with "herniating" breast tissue via a stretched out areola. With that said, at what point a fold is too high and too tight becomes subjective.  You may be closer to one end of the spectrum compared to average but I believe your breasts would still be considered without tuberous breast deformity.  To achieve an ideal breast shape and appearance you would likely benefit from an implant to add volume but also to increase the diameter of your breast foot-plate as well as a purse string areolaplasty.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Not Tuberous Breasts

+1

Tuberous breasts have some of these characteristics:  

1. enlarged, puffy areola

2. wide spacing between the breasts

3. lack of breast tissue

4. ptosis (commonly known as "sagging")

5. elevated breast fold

6. narrow width of the breast

Your breasts do not fall under this category.  You DO have some ptosis and space between your breasts, which could be corrected with breast augmentation and possibly a lift. 

It is extremely important to note that this is NOT a simple case, and I encourage you to seek out a ABPS who has been trained in handling difficult breast surgery.

Darshan Shah, MD
Bakersfield Plastic Surgeon

These are not tuberous breasts. Even if they were, insurance won't cover surgery for this anatomic condition!

+1

Perhaps I'm reading into your question, but your breasts are neither "deformed" nor tuberous, and even if they were, most insurance providers would not consider this reconstructive surgery.

Experienced, ABPS-certified plastic surgeons can deal with the asymmetry and ptosis (sagging) of your breasts, as well as reduce the size of your areolas in conjunction with a full or modified breast lift, if you wish. Different size implants would be utilized to improve size symmetry, but absolute symmetry is both an unrealistic expectation as well as impossible. BUT, significant improvements can be achieved.

Total surgical costs (in our accredited office surgical facility) would range from around $5500 for augmentation with silicone implants only to around $10,000 (more or less, depending on exact details of procedure) for breast lift plus implants. Hospital procedures can be expected to be higher in most cases. Trust me on this, your insurance provider will consider this "cosmetic" and self-pay regardless of any letter your primary physician or plastic surgeon might write.

Make an appointment with one or more ABPS-certified plastic surgeons and get a detailed plan and cost; then you can forge ahead with proper information! Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous Breasts

+1

Dear Andrea,

Your breasts do not fall into the category of TUBEROUS BREASTS.

According to the photos you have posted, it seems that your breasts are droopy (ptosis) and slightly asymmetrical.

Depending on what your goal is, breasts augmentation and lift could be your best bet.

I encourage you to consult with a board certified surgeon of ample experience who can physically examine you and help you to make a well informed decision.

Thank you for sharing your photos and the best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS