I Would Like to Know the Possible Risks of Wearing a Dorsal Implant for Height and Definition (photo)

I love the shape, height and definition a dorsal nasal implant does to nose but really. are they safe long term? if they are safe which type of material is most suitable for someone who wishes to heighten their nasal bridge? thank you and your answer means a lot to me. Jeremy

Rhinoplasty for the African-American nose.

+2

Rhinoplasty for the African-American nose can be done with your own tissue and you don't run the added risk of infection as you would with a foreign material. Your nose can be refined and the bridge raised without looking surgical(unattractive).  See an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who does many African-American noses.

Dorsal augmentation

+1

The type of implant or graft which is most suitable for an individual varies on several factors. Two important considerations include the desired amount of augmentation and the characteristics of owns septal cartilage (thickness and volume). Most of my patients who desire significant augmentation I tend to recommend either rib cartilage or e-PTFE. 

Edward S. Kwak, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Risk of Implant for Dorsal Augmentaion

+1

Although placement of an implant is an easier procedure, there is a significant increase in the risk of infection, movement, or extrusion post-op and later in life. I prefer to use the patient's own cartilage taken from the septum, ear, and/or rib to increase the dorsal height and improve definition. The graft will become incorporated into the surrounding nasal tissue during the healing process.

Rhinoplasty

+1

There is no perfect nasal bridge implant. If there were everyone would use it and only it. Even cartilage can be a problem if it warps. Without a side profile view we can't say that you are a candidate for a dorsal implant of any kind. Even if you were a candidate for a dorsal implant you would likely need additional procedures to you achieve something close to your desired look. You need to see a surgeon face to face to over these things and actually see the different implant materials that are available.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Rhinoplasty augmentation

+1

In general, it is always better to use autologous tissue( your own) for dorsal augmentation than an implant.