Does This Look Like the Beginning of Symmastia? (photo)

I am 2 weeks post op. I had a breast augmentation and tummy tuck. My PS said I have soft tissue where my sternum is and I would not have a gap between my breasts after surgery. However my breasts look very close together and at my 10 day post op appt I only saw the nurse and she had me put a bolster between my breasts to wear over the next 4 weeks. I am a little concerned that maybe this is the beginning of symmastia. Please look at my before and after pics and let me know what you think.

Symmastia after breast enlargement

+5

From the photos, you had little separation of your breasts before surgery. That hasn't changed but I don't see symmastia in the after photo. Symmastia to me after breast enlargement means that the implants have formed one pocket and actually touch. 

Ask your surgeon to see what his/her opinion is.

May I very respectfully note that your face appears in your after photo and may make you recognizable. This is a very personal photo. May I urge you to protect your privacy - crop the photo to remove your face or take it down. With my best wishes.

It does not look like symmastia.

+3

Thanks for sharing your before and after photos.  From your preop photo, your breasts seem to be close together; postop photo also reveals that your breasts are close together.  After surgery, your whole body will retain fluid; for the area of surgery (i.e.breasts and tummy) would be more swollen than the rest of the body.  It will take several weeks for the swelling to subside.  I would follow your plastic surgeon's postoperative regimen.  A bolster bra may help to decrease the swelling sooner.  Please be patient; you seem to have a good result overall.  Best wishes.

Sugene Kim, MD

Does My Post Op Breast Augmentation Look Like Symmastia?

+2

The good news is, you don't have symmastia.  Symmastia or Uniboob is a term given when the soft tissue of the breasts is over dissected and the breast implants touch each other, known as "kissing implants".  With this condition, the implants actually meet in the middle of the chest, giving the appearance of one breast instead of two. 

Your breast augmentation did not put your breasts any closer than they were pre operatively.  It also appears that your breasts have not yet settled out laterally, giving them a slightly greater medial displacement.  Take a deep breath.  Everything is okay.  Congratulations on picking a good plastic surgeon.  I am sure your final results will be excellent.

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Symmastia Concerns?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to  make an accurate diagnosis with online pictures,  especially only 10 days after surgery. There are many variables involved,  especially the presence of swelling. I would suggest that you continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon and address these questions/concerns with him,  given that he knows your situation best. You may very well find that with resolution of the swelling, the appearance of the cleavage area will improve significantly.

Symmastia

+2

From what i can see it does not appear so, but symmastia can be difficult to determine from only pictures.  The pre operative intermammary distance (distance between the breasts) will determine how close the implants are in the midline.  If your breasts were close together before the operation then they will be close after the operation.  After augmentation it is possible for the breasts to touch in the middle in patients with a very narrow intermammary distance.  I hope this helps and if you still have concerns I am sure your plastic surgeon would want to know. 

Bernard Kopchinski, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Beginning of Symmastia?

+1

In the before photos, the breasts are quite close together, so it is not surprising that they are close together after the implants were inserted. I don't think that at this time you have symmastia. I do concur with the bolster between the breast, because one breast  (with the mirror I think it is your right breast seems slightly over the midline. When you are massaging, push down and out. 

Continue to follow up with your surgeon.

Thank you for your question and for the photos. Best wishes. 

Probably not symmastia

+1

Thank you for the photos.  Your breasts before surgery were naturally close together.  The implant width as well as some of the breast pocket laterally (on the side) not being fully relaxed or released is keeping the implants pushed up against each other in the middle.  As the swelling improves and the side pockets relax this will improve.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Symmastia

+1

Thank you for the question and the pictures. Comparing your pre-operative and post-operative photos it appears that the space between the breasts has not changed significantly. Although difficult to see in your before picture as the camera is over part of your sternum, what can be seen in the picture appears relatively unchanged post-op. There may be swelling which is quite normal in the post-operative period which will take roughly 3 to 6 months to resolve.

Be patient and continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon. Your results should continue to improve with time. I hope this helps.

Good luck.

Pedro M. Soler, Jr., MD

Do you have symmastia two weeks after an augmentation mammoplasty?

+1

At two weeks, it is difficult to tell in your photos because your breasts were very close to begin with. The separation between our breast looks about the same in the before and after photos. Symmastic is when one or both of the implants cross the  midline and the implants actually touch. I doubt if this will happen wth you. However, if you have a concern, I would not push your implants toward the midline until they are fully healed at about three months.

E. Ronald Finger, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Does This Look Like the Beginning of Symmastia?

+1

Based upon the posted before and after photos you are close but not really having "symmastia" as per the definition of a connection between the breast tissue and or implant.