Does This Look Like Symmastia? (photo)

I have always known my breasts were a little different than most, and I didn't know there was a real term for it until now. I would like to get this fixed, hopefully if there is a nonsurgical way that would be ideal.

Not True Symmastia

+1
Judging from your photos alone, I don't think you have true symmastia because there is a distinct separation between each breast. This is most noticeable in the oblique view.

Not Symmastia

+1

Your breasts are close but this is not symmastia.  Your breasts have also descended inferiorly and laterally.  I would recommend a new surgical procedure called The Mini Ultimate Breast Lift to reshape and reposition your breasts.  Using only a circumareola approach your breast tissue can be elevated higher on the chest wall creating more upper pole fullness and moved laterally to increase the space between your breasts.  Reshaping increases your projection.  This operation takes 2 hours.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Do I have synmastia

+1

Tough call without seeing and examining you. Unless the implants are clearly moving to the opposite side they may just be very close or this is an anatomic issue.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Symmastia correction

+1

You may have a very minimal symmastia based on your pictures, but without an examination, it would be difficult to make this determination.

If there is some extra tissue, liposuction of this area may correct the problem.

An in-person consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area would be my recommendation.

Hope this helps,

Jason J. Hall, MD, FACS

Does This Look Like Symmastia?

+1

If anything you are very borderline to have true symmastia. But over the internet based on YOUR posting of photos makes it very hard to be exact. Best to obtain IN PERSON evaluations from boarded PSS in your city. 

Symmastia?

+1

Some women have breasts that are closer than others.  There is probably nothing you can do for this, and probably best to leave it alone since it is not really apparent when you are standing up as opposed to leaning over.

Natural symmastia

+1

We feel you do have a degree of symmastia. There is a lack of separation of the breast which is most clearly seen as you lean forward and the skin and tisssues over the breast bone comes forward with the breasts proper. We bet that there is a sponginess as you press down betweeen the breasts as tissues run together a bit in the middle. The situation seems mild and there is no nonsurgical means of a fix, unless you count liposuction as not too surgical, to reduce the fatty tissues between over the breast bone.

Correction of symmastia

+1

Thank you for including good photographs. It isn't clear from your question, but I am assuming based on the way you framed the question that you have not had breast implants.  From what I can see you do not seem to have true symmastia. In the first view the breasts do look a little closer together than average, but not abnormally so. Remember no two people and no two sets of breasts are exactly alike, and that's what makes us unique and interesting.  I wouldn't worry about the way your breasts look.

Paul W. Loewenstein, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Is This Symmastia?

+1

Dear Deus4100,

Thank you for your question and the photos.  From your photos, it does not appear that you have symmastia.  In the middle photo, there is a clearly defined space between your breasts and the pockets appear to be separate and distinct.  What is noticeable from your photos is the shape of your chest wall which may explain some of the issues you are concerned about.  Your chest wall is very rounded and also fairly narrow.  This means that the foundation of your breasts are seated close together-the narrow gap in between your breasts.  This also means that your breasts will rotate outward more as they follow the contour of your ribcage-something you can see in your first photo.  With 3-D imaging, some of these chest wall/ribcage issues can be easier to view and understand, especially in how they impact your final breast appearance after augmentation.  Meeting with your plastic surgeon can help you better understand the impact of your chest wall also.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Do I have synmastia?

+1

As you probably know, synmastia occurs when the pockets that surround the breast implant (the capsule) allow the implants to come too close or across the midline of the chest. Although I agree that there appears to be a demarcation in the view with your arms down, sometimes a provocative view pushing one or both breasts together shows something different. I recommend you meet with either thew surgeon who operated on you or choose a board-certified plastic surgeon who can examine you and guide you through your options.

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS