I Would Like to Know if You Can Still Have Breast Augmentation With A Sunken Chest?

i would like to know if you can still have breast augmentation if you have a sunken chest? i have looked all over to see if other people or doctors have done it an i cant seem to find an answer.

Breast augmentation candidates with sunken chest

+1

Thank you for your question. Many times, breast augmentation is a great way to camouflage a depression in the chest. To see if this might be right for you, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.  I hope this helps.

Pectus excavatum and breast augmentation

+1

Certainly you can have  bresat augmentation with pectus excavatum but it will not treat you concave chest.  The implants also may displace a bit due to the angle of the rib cage.

Pectus excavatum and breast implants

+1

Pectus excavatum is the term used to describe a sunken funnel chest with a concavity in the central chest area. The treatment for that condition is surgery on the bone to move it or placement of a custom made implant. If the concavity is severe it compromises heart lung function and the patient should have the bone surgery. In females if the concavity is mild it can be partially camouflaged with breast implants. If the concavity is severe without compromise of heart lung function a custom pectus implant is a better option followed by breast implants if desired at a later date. It is not a good idea to get the breast implants first if you need the pectus implants because if all the implants are submuscular you could end up with symmastia. I prefer the pectus implants first placed under the muscle and sometime later the breast implants, also under the muscle in most cases. If you put the breast implants under the muscle in less severe cases of pectus excavatum they are less likely to camouflage the defect.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Breast Implants for Sunken Chest

+1

Pectus excavatum is not that uncommon.  Many patients with a pectus can benefit from simply placing breast implants. The breast implants actually help hide the indentation of the breast bone.  The main concern is not to make the implant pocket too close to the midline of the breast bone, so as not to end up with a "uniboob" or synmastia.  The differences from one side to the other will remain after your surgery, but the volume difference can be improved.  I commonly make the incision in the armpit to avoid a "cut" on the breast. Also be aware you will never  obtain cleavage because of the indent and the high risk of migration of the implants toward the center on the breast bone.

Joe Gryskiewicz, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

A "Sunken Chest" Deformity called Pectus Excavatum and Breast Implants

+1

Yes, you can have Breast Augmentation with a sunken chest called Pectus Excavatum.  I have performed this procedure many times on women with varying degrees of this deformity.  Sometimes a normal breast implant augmentation procedure is performed, which tends to camouflage the deformity. Other times a minor soft tissue release is necessary to prevent a cross eyed appearance to your nipples.  In severe cases of Pectus Excavatum I usually recommend filling this concavity with a custom made solid silicone implant to provide a much more normal contour to the chest wall and improve the position and angle of the breasts.

Daniel P. Markmann, MD

Breast augmentation with deep chest cleavage

+1

Women with a mild "Pectus excavatum" or sunken chest may have very pleasant outcomes with the appropriate choice of  implant size, shape  and position.

The procedure can be performed very successfully and often the only issue is that the cleavage appears a little deep, which is a feature that some women actually appreciate.

Mario Diana, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation with a sunken chest

+1

You can have breast implants with a sunken chest, also called a pectus excavatum. Unless the implants are chosen carefully however as the depression can be made more noticable with a 'canyon' effect on your chest. In general a lower profile implant will give a nicer result, and asymmetry is common with a pectus and must be accommodated in the plan. Of course the pectus can be corrected with a custom solid implant if the augmentation will not work out without.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Breast Augmentation With Pectus Deformity

+1

A pectus excavatum or "sinken chest" is not a contraindication to having a breast augmentation.  You should be aware, however, that an augmentation will not improve the pectus and may, in fact, make it more noticeable.

John Whitt, MD

Chest wall shape and breast augmentation

+1

The shape of a woman's chest most certainly plays a role in the result they achieve with breast augmentation. This certainly does not mean you should not have it but proper planning on your and your plastic surgeon's part is very important. If implants that are too wide are chosen you run a greater risk of your breasts being too close together. As a rule breast augmentation is in a woman with a pectus excavatum yields breasts that are closer together out of a bra. You would do well to search photo galleries for patients with pectus excavatum. Many plastic surgeons will have a separate section for chest wall asymmetry.

I hope this helps

Dr. Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation with pectus excavatum

+1

In my experience a breast augmentation in patients with a sunken chest or pectus excavatum can help to camouflage this area.  I have several patients with this problem who feel that it is much less noticeable after the breast augmentation.

It is possible to have the implants too close together so care must be given to implant placement so as not to have the implants too close together.  Also, in many cases the ribs are angled toward the breastbone and the nipple may appear to point toward the midline.  This will probably appear this way after the breast augmentation as well.

Thank you for your question and good luck.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon