I have 8cm long and 1cm wide keloid/ hypertrophic scar on my upper thigh. What treatment would you recommend? (photo)

It is an 8cm long and 1 cm wide keloid/ hypertrophic scar that is 2.5 years old. It was caused by a razor and had stitches at the time. I would like to know what ca be done to minimise it and approximately how much it would cost. I'm looking to have it done somewhere in Perth, Australia. Thank you

Scar / Keloid Treatment

+2
There are various options.  Surgical is likely best with post treatment steroid injections and/or silicone sheeting.  However, non-invasive procedures such as lasers can be used incombination with topical and injectable treatments.  I wish you the best of luck, Dr. Emer.

Scar treatment

+2
This is a wide or spread scar.  It could be treated by excision and plastic surgical closure.  Given its length, I would favor a serial excision in stages to reduce the length of the ultimate scar.  I do not believe that non-surgical modalities will produce the improvement that you are seeking.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Hypertrophic Scar

+2
What you have is a widened scar perhaps from tension or the trauma of the injury. This can be revised, but you must take into account the tension in the tissues to ensure you dont have recurrence of this issue. You need to find a surgeon in your area to address this.

You should see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to get a formal opinion through and in-person consultation.
Vincent Marin, MD
MarinAesthetics.com

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Scar revision with Embrace

+1
I would remove the scar completely and close it with suture internally and apply the product Embrace.  Embrace is a product available only to Plastic Surgeons.  If you are attending any events in Austin like F1 in October, Austin City Limits or the South by Southwest we would be happy to see you and help improve this scar for you.

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS