Does It Look Like I Will Have Sagging Skin After Fat Removal? (photo)

I had dermabrasion and fat removal of my neck and under chin 5 days ago. I went in for lipo, but when I woke up from the anesthesia, the dr told me he didn't do lipo after all, he thought it would look uneven, so he cut out the fat. I've never heard of this before. I know it has only been 5 days, but it does look like I will be left with loose skin? I'm worried he made it worse than it was before the surgery. I wore a compression garment for 3 days after the surgery, now I am only wearing it at night.

1 Week after Fat Removal under Chin

+1

1 week after a neck surgery of this nature, swelling can be quite impressive.  Give yourself a few months.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Loose Skin after neck surgery

+1

Removing fat by excision, called submental lipectomy, can be preferable to liposuction. especially if there is muscle separation or laxity. It appears that you have normal postoperative swelling. I advise my patients to wear a chin strap to help with this in the early postoperative period. You may want to ask your doctor about that. In any case it is way to early to see the final result, so have faith and be patient. Good luck

Johan E. Brahme, MD

Submental liposuction vs corset platysmaplasty vs. platysmaplasty plus neck lift

+1

Liposuction alone is great for patients who have tight skin but excess fat.

In patients who have either loose deep muscles or a large amount of deep fat, it is best to perform a tightening procedure on the platysma.

In patients with looseness of the skin along with some of the other problems above, the best results are obtained with a neck lift, platysmal tightening and liposuction combined.  Often a facelift is advisable as well.

In your case, there appears to be swelling and bruising, but some jowl tissue and a poor neck angle.  These problems are not typically resolved by liposuction or direct fat removal alone, but require some of the steps above.

As many of the panelists have recommended, of course, it is best to wait until all the healing is done and then assess.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Sagging neck skin

+1

Early post-op from neck surgery will often give the illusion of laxity especially due to swelling. Often this gets better with time.

Loose skin after fat removal?

+1

After surgery, swelling can make it appear that there is skin laxity- it is much to early to tell, give it a few more weeks & you will know better. Good luck!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Does It Look Like I Will Have Sagging Skin After Fat Removal?

+1

Very early too be definitive if the skin is sagging best to allow healing over the next 3 months to decide f further surgery is needed.