I Would Like to Have a Primary Rhinoplasty Soon. I Have Met with So Many Doctors but I Don't Know Who to Choose?

The 1st doctor seems patient but he said I shouldn't be upset if it doesn't come out ideal which scared me off. The 2nd doctor seems to have a lot experience but he knows this other doctor that is covertly mean, and ignored my email. The 3rd doctor is busy and his staff didn't return my call, which isn't acceptable and he only has about 3 B/A photos. The 4th was referred & he's popular in marketing but I feel I may not trust him based on who referred me. All of these are cert. by AB FPS.

+1

My opinion:  Your nose is in the middle of your face.  You will see the result every time you look in the mirror or see a photo of yourself for the rest of your life.  The procedure, and your outcome, is very important.  More important even, than buying the right house or car.  When you find the right surgeon, you will know it.  He or she will return your calls.  There will be no negativity.  There will be enough before and after photos to inspire confidence.  Of course, there is never any guarantee of a specific result, but the right surgeon teams up with you to understand exactly what you want and expect.  If you expect something he or she cannot deliver, you will be informed of this.  If there IS an adverse element of your result, and you have chosen the right surgeon, he or she will stick with you to achieve the best correction possible.  You must feel that this will happen before proceeding, again, just my opinion.

Choosing a surgeon

+1

Choosing a surgeon and can be daunting, especially in a major metropolitan area.  One obvious screen which you have already done is to verify the surgeon's credentials.  Make sure the surgeon is board –certified by either the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery or the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Also, ensure that the surgeon has hospital credentials at a respectable institution.  Go on multiple consultations, to compare each surgeons aesthetics, demeanor, and office staff.  Finally, go with your gut instincts.  Good luck!

Edward S. Kwak, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Choosing a rhinoplasty surgeon

+1

In general, there are a few key things to look at when choosing a surgeon. Ideally, your prospective surgeon will be board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery or the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.  A good amount of before and after photos, an informative website, the office, and good communication are all essential.  From what it sounds like, you will best benefit from seeking additional opinions.  You want to feel comfortable with the surgeon you choose, and ensure that he/she will be able to provide the result you are looking for.. Thanks and best of luck!

Paul S. Nassif, MD

+1

This is a common problem for patients.  IMHO, it's best to choose your Rhinoplasty Surgeon for his/her ability to understand and follow the proper aesthetics of facial (and nasal) beauty for the creation of a naturally, more attractive nose and face.  Because at the end of the day that's why you go to a plastic and cosmetic surgeon...to make you look more naturally attractive.  

Choosing a rhinoplasty surgeon.

+1

Here is what I think is important:

Do you feel welcome in the office?  You will be there enough to become part of the family Do you want to.

Does the doctor have a genuine enthusiasm for this particular operation?

Does the doctor have a lot of photos to show you in the office? Remember, not all patients want their photos on the web.

How much time was the surgeon willing to spend with you in the consultation?

I think that ABFPRS certification is very important.

There is no such thing as a perfect rhinoplasty, That is very truthful.  However, the vast majority of patients are happy with their noses after surgery.  There is a nice way to put this and a way that can frighten patients. 

My webpage link below should also help you answer some questions.  Also, there are about 30 rhinoplasty patients on the site.

Hope this helps.

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Choosing the Best Rhinoplasty Surgeon

+1

The following are the screening guidelines and criteria recommended to pick the best plastic surgeon for your rhinoplasty surgery

– 7 Step process
1. Board Certified Plastic Surgeon by the American Board of Plastic Surgery or Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon. 

2. Fellow of the American College of Surgeons “FACS” (or the equivalent in Canada  by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. “FRCS”).
The American College of Surgeons is dedicated to improving the care of the surgical patient and to safeguarding standards of care in an optimal and ethical practice environment. Members of the American College of Surgeons are referred to as "Fellows." The letters FACS (Fellow, American College of Surgeons) after a surgeon's name mean that the surgeon's education and training, professional qualifications, surgical competence, and ethical conduct have passed a rigorous evaluation, and have been found to be consistent with the high standards established and demanded by the College To be a member you have to be board certified by in a surgical specialty recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties, be in practice in one location for a number of years, with a background check, nomination, and interviews which verify that you are an ethical and safe surgeon among other criteria. Hint – Look for the “FACS” or “FRCS” after the “MD” in a doctor’s title or in his CV/Resume to see if he/she is a “real surgeon”.  

3. Member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS)  or Rhinoplasty Society   4.Verify that your surgeon has hospital privileges to perform the same type of surgery

Hospitals often restrict their privileges by internal review to only those surgeons trained to do these procedures or actively do them on a regular basis by examining  qualifications of individuals applying for hospital staff privileges. 
5..  Surgical Experience in the procedure you are having
This goes without saying but few patients ask how long they have been doing these procedures or how many they have performed. Looking at typical before and after photos, discussing the details of the procedure in a manner that is clear to you,  reviewing benefits and  potential complications, along with full answers to your  question.
6. Evidence of Excellence,  Experience  and Commitment to the field of Plastic Surgery –  Here is a partial list to support this:
Surgical Board Certification in more than one field, Plastic Surgical Fellowships in addition to Plastic Surgical Residency. Number of years practicing.
Peer Review Honors in their own board certification from groups such as  Best Doctors, Top Doctors, Super Doctors. Current or Prior position denoting excellence in the field or high regard by their peers such as: Prior or present - Professor or Faculty affiliation with a University Plastic surgical program, Chairman of a Department of plastic surgery at a regional hospital, honors from surgical societies they are members of, Board Examiner, etc. Published Plastic Surgical papers in peer review journals are also a good sign that they are committed to being on top of their field.                          

7.Feel Comfortable with your choice – It is very important that after you have done this screening and met with your potential surgeon that you feel confident in your choice. Complications are not common in cosmetic/surgery but if one did occur is this the surgeon you would want and feel confident that he would take charge and be able to handle just about any problem that came his or her way? Do you feel that he listens to you and communicates well by answering your questions completely, doesn’t rush you in to a decision but rather makes you part of the decision making process and you truly feel it is a combined effort. Does his office run smooth and are you taken care of by his staff?  If you answered to the affirmative and have gotten this far in your screening guidelines then I think you have found the “Dr Right” for you

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Choosing Right Surgeon For Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Marie,

I am sorry that you had a bad experience choosing the right surgeon for your rhinoplasty; this quest should be fun and easy.

Nonetheless, I will try to provide you a quick checklist with the least bias possible despite my extensive years of experience, triple board certification and numerous awards / recognitions:

(ABPS (American Board of Plastic Surgery)

ABFPRS (American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery)

ABO (American Board of Otolaryngology)

To choose the "best" plastic surgeon to perform your Rhinoplasty is based on multiple elements:

1. Is the surgeon board certified?

2. What is the extent of experience the surgeon has?

3. Does the surgeon micro-specialize in Rhinoplasty?

4. Does the surgeon tailor his/her performance to better serve the patient (every patient is different and preserving natural looks is crucial).

5. Recognitions and awards do matter as well as reviews.

Also, I would include the following questions to your conversation with the surgeon you consult with:

1. Do you have hospital privileges to perform this procedure? If so, at which hospitals?

2. Is the surgical facility accredited by a nationally or state-recognized accrediting agency, or is it state-licensed or Medicare-certified?

3. How many procedures of this type have you performed?

With that, only a face to face consultation with the surgeon of your choice could reveal in which class they fall into.

Thank you for your inquiry and I wish you the best of luck.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Choosing a surgeon

+1

You have to feel comfortable and confident with the surgeon and staff so take your time.  It is important that you feel like you are on the same page with your surgeon about the result you are looking for. It is perfectly ok to ask to see lots of before and afters to get a sense of the surgeons aesthetic of what a natural or beautiful nose looks like. Almost all experienced rhinoplasty surgeons love to show off their results and should have many to display. Don't over think it though or out smart it. All honest and ethical surgeons will disclose that there are risks. Among these include healing factors which are unable to be controlled and may effect the final result. This is true for everyone and should not deter you from going forward.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Choosing the right rhinoplasty surgeon for your nose

+1

It is very common to have apprehension especially when you have already seen four consulting physicians. I would make sure the physician you choose does plenty of rhinoplasty procedures each year, check to see what his/her revision rate is (if he tells you he has none then I would go elsewhere), and you can always ask to speak with previous patients he has done. One trick that I recommend is look at the before and after photos; if you can tell that the person has had a rhinoplasty without looking at the before picture I would be leary especially if you are looking for a natural result that fits your face.

Good luck ST

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Choosing a Rhinoplasty Surgeon Should Be Done Carefully

+1

Your concerns are legitimate. It is essential that if you decide to have any facial plastic surgery procedure (especially rhinoplasty because of the degree of difficulty involved in the procedure) that you are certain you are doing the right procedure, at the right time, by the right surgeon. If you have doubts about any of these factors you should not go ahead with the procedure. Look at a lot of before and after photos. Talk to patients who have had a rhinoplasty by that surgeon (most surgeons will let you talk to some of their patients- if they don't, be suspicious). Spend enough time talking to the surgeon and his or her staff (I have some patients who consult 3 or 4 times with me before they feel they are ready to schedule) to get a good feel for them. Make sure you connect with them. Remember- if something does go wrong, these will be the people you will be relying on to help you. Importantly, take your time and do not rush this decision. If you don't find someone you feel comfortable with after talking to many surgeons, it may simply mean that you aren't ready to proceed at this time anyway. Be patient. When the time and surgeon are right, you will know it.

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon