Would like opinions on the use of fat grafting to enhance results at the 2nd stage of reconstructive surgery?

I recently had a prophylactic bilateral simple nipple sparing mastectomy. I currently have Tissue Expanders in place. My doctor plans to replace my tissue expander with an anatomical cohesive gel implant. He also plans to do some fat grafting during that surgery to enhance his results. He is a board certified plastic surgeon. Does this sound like a reasonable plan? Thoughts and opinions please.

Breast Reconstruction - Fat Grafting

+1
Thank you for your question. I use it nearly on all my second stage reconstruction for both flap and tissue expander based reconstruction. I think it's a great addition. 

Breast Reconstruction Revision with Fat Grafting

+1

From experience, this is a very appropriate surgical plan to improve your results aesthetically. I frequently perform implant exchange with fat grafting at the same time for breast reconstruction revision cases and the results have been excellent. Good luck with your surgery.

C. Andrew Salzberg, MD
Westchester Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafting works in breast reconstruction

+1
but if done at the same time as your exchange for the implants, the fat has to be precised placed in the thin overlying layer of tissue.  I personally find this more challenging than desired and prefer to do this after the implants have sealed themselves in their new pockets and become immobile as now you can more easily appreciate any deficient areas.  Realize fat grafting could take more then one session to achieve your desired goals.

Curtis Wong, MD

Fat grafting in Breast Reconstruction

+1
Fat grafting to the breast for reconstruction has become a very valuable technique in obtaining excellent aesthetic results. It is a very popular topic in the plastic surgery community and the advances in technique for harvesting and injection have truly afforded women the possibility of correcting contour deformities, increase size, and improve shape in breast reconstruction. Other advantages are decreasing scarring (especially in a previously radiated field) and increasing vascularity to the area from its stem cell properties. Fat grafting has become commonplace for many surgeons who perform breast reconstruction, myself included. The results have been enhanced, with the plus side of utilizing your own fat from areas where you have excess via liposuction. Hope that this helps! Best wishes for a tremendous outcome!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Fat grafting for breast reconstruction

+1
Thanks for your question -

Fat grafting can be an excellent way to manage lumpectomy scars or to augment implant or autologous (your own tissue) reconstructions.

Be sure you have appropriate mammograms prior to treatment and visit a plastic surgeon experienced with the technique in breast reconstruction.

Steven H. Williams, MD

Fat grafting is and excellent way to smooth contours!

+1
Yes it is a very acceptable plan.  The majority of my practice is devoted to breast reconstruction.  I use fat grafting every week to improve contours of all forms of breast reconstruction.

Fat grafting is a valuable tool in breast surgery. This technique has gained more popularity over the past 7 years. There are many techniques used to harvest the fat, process the fat and then re-inject the fat. Conventional suction lipectomy is performed with a small diameter cannula, processed by separating the liquid and fibrous tissue from the fat, and then placed into syringes for re-injection or through a closed system.

Please find an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and member of the Aesthetic Society using the Smart Beauty Guide. These Plastic Surgeons can guide you on all aspects of facial surgery, breast augmentation and body procedures including tummy tucks or mommy makeovers!

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS