Does this look like a normal post op breast reduction? (Photo)

I am 2 weeks post op. 2nd week had heavy leakage (clear discharge + blood) and right breast pain. Was told it was normal - from swelling. Tape removed yesterday. Left nipple was fine (no inflammation). But the problem nipple (right) is inflamed and the nipple is separated at that bottom (picture attached). It's so painful and still draining. Doctors says, no problem, use anti-biotic ointment and give it time to heal. I just want a second opinion because it looks like it needs more stitches.

Wound separation

+2
It looks like you have suffered a wound separation. I generally treat this with some dressing changes and then proceed to revise it by trimming a little tissue and re-closing it provided that there does not seem to be an infection. Often this can be done under local anesthesia.To allow this to heal by itself might lead to poor scarring. Best to revisit with your surgeon frequently . They may want things to "settle down and declare themselves fully first.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Minor Wound Separation After Breast Reduction/Breast Lift

+1
While not common, minor separation of the incision can occur following breast reduction or breast lift. This will generally heal with a slightly larger scar, but the scarring is ultimately relatively mild and difficult to notice. There is no role for "re-suturing" of the wound at this point. Close follow up with your surgeon and twice daily dressing changes with good hygiene will allow this complication to completely resolve.

Adam J. Oppenheimer, MD
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Wound separation post breast reduction

+1
Thank you very much for your message and photograph.

There does look to be some wound breakdown at the lower part of your nipple.

There is also some pale tissue at the bottom and I think it would be sensible to see your plastic surgeon as you certainly need regular dressings on this area.

I would anticipate that with regular dressings the area will fully heal but it is important to have the area cleaned and washed regularly and the correct dressings applied to speed this recovery process.

Overall I would suggest you schedule a consultation with your plastic surgeon to discuss the best way forward for you.

Adrian Richards, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Does this look like a normal post op breast reduction

+1
Posted photos demonstrates separation of wound edges. Seek IN PERSON medical care ASAP. This could be a dehiscence... 

Wound breakdown

+1
Thank you for your picture. This is a wound separation that is not a huge issue. It needs to be cleaned gently. The wound manage locally with dressings. Their many choices of dressings and you will just have to depend on your plastic surgeon to pick the best one for your situation. This should heal in readily without getting infected.

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS