I Would Like to Get my Mole Removed but Im Not Sure if I Should. What Kind of Scar Would It Leave? (photo)

I have a light brown mole that is on my nose and is visable...about how big of a scar will be left left behind?

Best methods for mole removal

+1

Small facial moles can be easily removed using a shave excision technique that typically results in a minimal scar. With this method, the mole is actually shaved off at a very superficial level just below the surface of the skin. The procedure typically takes less than a minute and is painless after a tiny injection to numb the area. I would recommend having this treatment done by a board certified dermatologist, as plastic surgeons rarely do shave excisions.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Mole removal and scarring

+1

If your dermatologist isn't concerned and this site hasn't changed at all over time, then it should be able to be removed simply with liquid nitrogen freezing. This is where an exceptionally cold substance basically burns the site off. I prefer on the face to do it 1-2 times so that it's a lighter freeze and doesn't have as much of a potential for a scar. If your dermatologist prefers to send it into a lab for review, the site should be able to be removed simply with a shave biopsy, which won't even need stitches. In that case the removal would be a bit bigger than your site now and would turn a bit pink for awhile while it heals. If you follow post care instructions and wear sunscreen any scarring would be minimal.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Flat brown spots on the face are easy to treat.

+1

Flat brown spots on the face may be age or wisdom spots, freckles or flat moles. If your derm isn't worried about the lesion then freezing with liquid nitrogen, burning with electrofulgeration or laser or saucerization shaving all leave minimal to no scars at all but may need to be done 1-2 times at a month apart.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon