Do Not Like my Belly Button Scar Should I Get It Revised or is There Something I Can Use to Improve? (photo)

I got a tummy tuck 3.5 months ago and i love the results but do not like how my belly button looks, should i get a revision to improve it or is there a cream or something i can use to improve the scar.. Right now i use tea tree oil and dont know it itll help if i get a revision is there a chance that the scar will look like that again

Do Not Like my Belly Button Scar Should I Get It Revised or is There Something I Can Use to Improve?

+1

The scars should improve over a year's period.  However, if the scar continues to worsen or remains the same the belly button can be made to look better with a revision.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks and belly buttons each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Surgical Revision for Improved Belly Button Scar

+1

Wait until 6 months after surgery and if still unsatisfied with the appearance of the bellybutton scar (which I think you will be), then have scar revision which will dramatically improve its appearance.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

3 1/2 months is too early to revise a navel scar after abdominoplasty.

+1

The photograph demonstrates an umbilical scar which is biologically active. Over time, the appearance of the scar should improve. Revision should only be considered when improvement comes to a halt and a scar revision has a possibility of improving the appearance.

Do Not Like my Belly Button Scar

+1

Congratulations on a nice result.

The navel scar is hypertrophic. This might well improve without any attention to it, but there are things that can help. Best would be to discuss options with your surgeon. 

There are a number of over the counter scar remedies (Scarguard, Mederma, Kelocote, others) that often help. The "gold standard" is kenalog injections, which your surgeon would do. 

All the best. 

Belly button scar after TT

+1

Your scar appears to be lumpy and hyperpigmented (dark). Both of these should improve with time. Massaging the area and squeezing the scar between your fingers can help speed the process. There are also bleaching creams that may be able to help with the dark color. Be careful not to expose the scar to the sun as this can increase the dark pigmentation. There are also treatments that your doctor can prescribe that may help so be sure to check with him or her about your concerns. Good luck to you.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Belly button scars after a tummy tuck are tricky

+1

Tummy tuck surgery is great and greatly improves a patient's body contour.  Belly buttons are tricky because they are difficult to hide.  The good news is that you are only 3.5 m after surgery and your scar will continue to improve in colour and texture.  I am not familiar with tea tree oil, however silicone - based scar creams or tapes are the best thing you can do for your scar, in addition to massage and UV protection.

Martin Jugenburg, MD