Looks Like a Hickey, Should I Be Concerned? (photo)

I am 4 1/2 weeks post op. I had augmentation and lift. Just the other day I noticed a red mark appear that looks like a hickey. I'm not sure whether to be concerned or not. Any opinions?

Red Spot After Breast Augmentation #breastimplants

+1

It looks like bruising or a skin issue like a rash. Hard to say without a direct examination. Anytime implants are involved you want to make sure this is not infection related so go see your surgeon for sure. 

Healing after breast surgery, augmentation, lift

+1

redness should always be watched.   fever, pain , increasing redness can be infection.

this can also be skin irritation from a bra,  tape etc. or just residual bruising 

check with your surgeon

Looks Like a Hickey, Should I Be Concerned?

+1

Most likely a skin only issue. Try hydro cortisone cream 1% OTC. But ALWAYS best to see your surgeon for ANY issues. 

Red spot

+1

This could be some bruising.  Please follow-up with your plastic surgeon for an evaluation. 

Dr. Sugene Kim, MD

Sugene Kim, MD

If it looks like a Hickey on your breast... Bruising after Breast Surgery

+1

In your case, the area that looks like a hickey in the photo appears to show a small amount of bruising at the upper side of the breast. By itself, this is unlikely to be problematic. 

Some bruising after surgery is common, and often it is of no consequence. With an implant used in breast surgery, however, we want to be extra careful to minimize bleeding. A large area of bruising and more dense bruising would be more concerning, although even this does not necessarily mean that you will have a problem.

In any case, if you have a question about bruising, it is best to contact your surgeon's office so that they are aware and can answer any questions you may have.

Hope this helps,

Nick Slenkovich, MD FACS

Nick Slenkovich, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Redness on Breast

+1

It is unusual to have a bruise at 4 1/2 weeks out after surgery.  Most bruising would have resolved by now.  If this redness just recently appeared then you should think of other probable causes.  As another respondent replied, it could be related to the fit of the bra your are wearing.  It could be rubbing on the skin causing this irritation.  Another possibility, but much less likely, could be a local cellulitis infection which should be checked immediately.  This may require antibiotics.  I would recommend you see your surgeon as soon as you can.  All the best!

Steven Svehlak, MD

Redness on Breast after Augmentation

+1

Thank you for sharing your photos.   This may be a slight amount of remnant bruising or irritation from the bra.    I would have your plastic surgeon evaluate this to ensure that everything is healthy at the surgical site.   Otherwise, I think this should resolve with conservative measures.

Paul S. Gill, MD