I Would Like to Hear About Safety of Botox from a Doctor Who Does Sell Botox?

Surely there are doctors who have researched Botox and then have chosen to not sell it to their patients. I would like to hear about their experiences of learning about medicines from sources outside the drug manufactures' educational materials which are designed to sell more than inform.

Safety of botox

+1

Botox has an extremely safe profile with minimal complications. Most complications are self limited and resolve without further treatment. It is used for many different indications and not just cosmetic.

Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Doctors generally perform procedures they're comfortable with...

+1

some dermatologists limit their practice to surgery and others only treat children...some principally treat psoriasis while others limit their patients to allergies or contact dermatitis...and an increasing number enjoy helping their patients with cosmetic concerns...it seems like every major meeting devotes considerable time to drugs like botox...and there are all sorts of conferences, lectures, journal articles and video presentations about these products that keep doctors informed...and of course when an ever expanding number of patients inquire about safe and effective therapies, many of us choose to provide the services they desire...  

Ken Landow, MD

Botox Safety

+1

Doctors are trained to regard everything with a critical and inquiring eye. Most physicians analyze anything and everything they have in their office, right down to the types of creams they recommend or the sunblock they advise. Botox is no different. As the most popular injectable, it has been studied by thousands of clinical trials, and by the FDA through a rigorous screening process. With so many millions being injected, adverse outcomes are reported when they occur. However, when done by a trained, experienced physician in a suitable candidate, Botox is incredibly safe...moreso, likely, than the food you put on your table, or your daily transportation. 

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

Botox has a very high proven safety track record

+1

Botox, Dysport and now Xeomin, are botulinum toxin A products designed to relax muscles thereby minimizing facial lines. Other uses have been noted.  It is an elective cosmetic procedure with rarely reported serious side effects but nothing is risk free.  When done conseratively, botox injections done by experienced physicians (it is not a product for sale but a treatment done by doctors) provide great happiness to many patients. If your concern is focused on side effects and the extremely rare complications, then in your mind the benefit is not going to outway the risks and you'll probably avoid having the treatment regardless on how safe Botox seems to be.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Unbiased information about Botox

+1

The best information on Botox could be found through a medical library that has access to peer-reviewed medical journals.  If you want to read what the researchers found when studying Botox, have a research librarian do a literature search for you.  It'll get complex pretty quickly if you aren't familiar with biochemistry and advanced biology, but at least you'll be getting the unbiased information you seek.  On the other hand, you could just ask a physician you trust, and they'll likely tell you exactly what all the other doctors here have said.

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon

Safety of Botox?

+1

There has never been a adverse permanent issue related to the cosmetic use of Botox administered properly, EVER! Quite an impressive track record, all that being said, it is your decision, if you do not trust it do not use it.

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Botox is very safe in experienced hands.

+1

However, if you are still not comfortable with BOTOX, don't have it.  Treatment is completely elective.  You can live without it.  End of discussion.

+1

There are by now, millions of people who have safely used Botox to soften lines and wrinkles but nothing, whether it's a medicine, treatment or surgery is without risks.  If after reading all the information on Allergan's site about Botox you don't want to have Botox injections for any reason, you shouldn't.  

Safety of Botox

+1

Like you stated, Botox is a medication. Handled in the right, professional hands, it is perfectly safe to use. I have used it for over 25 years (before it was even FDA approved) in all actuality and before it was on the cosmetic bandwagon as one of the biggest procedures done in the U.S. So I have a great deal of experience using it, long before it was being sold and pushed to cosmetic doctors. Like most medications, Botox is exceptionally safe, tested, and founded as a great cosmetic medication, but it needs to be used by physicians (note I'm saying physicians!) with lots of experience.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Botox is incredibly safe

+1

I believe that Botox is incredibly safe when used properly.  I have been using it for over 12 years and use it on myself as well.  That is a true test of what doctors think-are they using it themselves and on their friends and family. 

Rebecca Baxt, MD
Paramus Dermatologist