Options To Improve Belly Button After Scar Excision and Hernia Repair? (photo)

3 months ago I had a hernia repair and elliptical excision on a former piercing scar removed. I would like to improve the area some more, and would like to know if its possible to pull a small amount of skin in to the navel and create an innie or at least improve the laxity of the skin surrounding the belly button? I am not overweight and have good skin tone, but when i bend over the skin above my belly button is slightly loose.

Belly button scar and hernia repair revision.

+2

All of my colleagues' answers are worth reading, but none of them add the detail that this is actually a challenging operation which requires a fair degree of surgical finesse. That is why we all recommend a plastic surgeon who is experienced in umbilicoplasty.

It also appears that aside from you being very thin with no fatty layer to help create an "innie," you still have an umbilical hernia (the protrusion that remains). This may be covered by insurance, but should not be tackled by someone without plastic surgical expertise. Best wishes!

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Umbilicoplasty

+2

Your belly button could be vastly improved by revising the scar above the upper rim, reattach the upper portion deep to abdominal muscles and recreate a mild hood along the upper portion for an attractive innie look. Speak with your Plastic surgeon. 

Improve Umbilicus?

+2

You will likely  benefit from revision of your belly button  scars,  repair of a possible recurrent umbilical hernia and creation of more of a “inny"  appearance of the umbilicus.  You may want to wait several months further before considering this procedure.  Make sure you are working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Umbilicoplasty

+2

You can definitely have improvement with an umbilicoplasty.  I would suggest letting your belly button heal for a least two more months and then inquire about a revision surgery.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Yes this can be improved

+2

The hernia can be improved and the outty turned into an inny.  This is a local procedure but should be done by a plastic surgeon.  The belly button needs to be reattached down to the fascia.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Repair of belly button is certainly possible

+2

What you are requesting is a relatively straight forward procedure which can be done under local anesthesia.  It involves excising skin and reattaching the belly button to the abdominal wall.  It is often referred to as an umbilicoplasty.  Sometimes the belly botton can be "floated" and repositioned at a new height unless you are planning a tummy tuck at some time in the future.  Good luck, Dr. Schuster from Boca Raton.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Umbilical revision or umbilical hernia repair

+2

It is possible you will benefit from an umbilical revision and repair of an umbilical hernia.  You may be best off to see a board certified plastic surgeon with an interest in revisional tummy tuck or umbilical surgeries to talk about your options.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Can my belly button be enhanced (photo) ?

+2

Yes, the belly button CAN be inverted.  Usually, it is an office procedure under local anesthesia involving repair of any recurrent hernia (looks like you may have one), removal of peri-umbilical fat, and securing umbilical skin to abdominal wall fascia in an aesthetic way.

Steve Laverson, MD