What Type Of Lift W/ Implants Do You Recommend? (photo)

I Would Like to Get Breast Lift and Implants.  I Am 48 Years Old and Have Nursed 2 children. I am 5' 6" and 110 lbs. I have met with surgeon and he wants to do a lift and 300 cc implants. What type of lift should be done and could I go larger with implants. I do not want any sagging after and I want my breasts nice and tight. Am I too old for implant surgery? Thanks

Maybe only implants

+2

It appears as if your nipple is above the inframammary line, thus you are not really ptotic. Tight breasts are for 12 year olds. As you age,breasts droop a little like yours, perhaps only implants will do well. It does not appear as if you need all the added scars of a lift at this time.

Breast Implants and Breast Lifting?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Congratulations on the physique you have maintained.

The easiest  question to answer... you are absolutely NOT too old to proceed with breast  augmentation and lifting surgery.

Based on your pictures and your description of goals I think a vertical mastopexy (incisions around the areola and vertical incision down the breast)  will most likely give you your desired results.

The size and model of breast implant used may  make a  significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  in my practice I find the use of goal pictures to be very helpful.   I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible. 
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Breast augmentation and lift-what are my options?

+1

You are definitely not old for this type of surgery.  Obviously, a physical examination will be ideal, however, based on your photos you may not need a lift.  If a lift is required, in my opinion a doghnut lift (the incision is around your areola) will give you the desired result.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Augmentation mastopexy or breast lift after nursing

+1

i generally do a verticle or lollipop lift..   the scar is better controlled  than a periareola , i can lift tighter and avoid the un needed scar of an anchor lift

Breast lift and implants

+1

You appear to be in great shape compared with most women your age who have nursed two children. You are certainly not too old to have breast implants and I think, based on your measurements that 300-330 cc's would be a very good size for you.  As you have some sagging, you could probably get away with just a small lift with an incision around the nipple or the 'lolli-pop' lift. If you accepted some sagging after surgery, you may be able to go with just implants using a 'dual plane' technique.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Augmentation without lift

+1

From the pictures I would go with the augmentation without lift.... The lift may offer a better position of the nipple areola complex but it will also offer scars, even in the best of hands...  I have had great success using implants and centering the implant in a way as to achieve the perky breasts with a more centered mound.   This saves the need for moving the areola, as it moves the "mass" behind it instead.  

Alan Weiss, MD

Breast augmentation and breast lift are designed to accomplish different things

+1

This seems to be a frequent question.  Its is important to think of the two procedures as accomplishing different results.  Breast augmentation increases volume and breast lift tightens/shapes tissue.  You must first decide on the size of the breasts that you want since this will ne necessary to determine the size of the implant and indirectly the breast lift procedure.  You will need a circumvertical (lolli pop) type breast lift almost regardless of the size of the implant.  The larger the implant the smaller amount of tissue to be resected and tightened.  The other two type of lifts are: Benelli (purse-string) and Full (usually resulting in an anchor type of incision pattern.  90+ percent of my breast lifts seem to fit the lolli pop type lift.  

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

What Type of Lift do I need??

+1

I would recomment a vertical lift with a conservative size silicone gel implant. If you do not want any sag and want a tight, perky look, a vertical lift is necessary to get rid of the overhang of skin and breast tissue. You must be aware that the LIFT is the most important part of the procedure and often overlooked by patients wanting bigger breasts.  An implant, although helpful in creating a nicer shape with more volume, is stretching that very skin that we are trying to tighten and lift. So...with that said, I perform the lift on the table and place a sizer (a temporary implant) to see what size works best for the patient.  In our office the patient tries on breast sizers to see what implant size they are hoping for. I then order a variety of sizes in that range and tell the patient that I place theone that is best for them after the lift is performed.

The only way around a lift would be to place a very large implant in. The problem with this is that very large implant will still sit lower on the chest than you likely would like and eventually will drop from gravity.  This would require an implant in the 550-600 range likely.  Obviously without performing an exam on you this is just an estimate.

Christian Prada, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift with Implants

+1

I would side with the majority who believe that if the nipple is at or above the breast fold, a lift is not necessary. A breast augmentation alone is always more predictable and it is easier to hide the scars. It looks like you could go a little larger, such as 325 or 350cc, but I can't say for sure without and exam and breast measurements.

Joseph Fata, MD

What Type Of Lift W/ Implants Do You Recommend? (photo)Answer:

+1

If you truly want breasts that are tight without sagging, then you are going to need a skin tightening procedure, like a lift. Probably a lollipop at the least. I am afraid that if you just do augmentation, you will look good for about 4-6 months and then , the sagging will be back, only worse…Your breasts seem not to have enough support for perky, tight breasts and at 48 years old, few women do…

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon