Looking Like an Avatar Character After Cast Removal?

this is normal right? i KNOW swelling is normal but my own face makes me want to cry of laughter right now. doctors should really warn us of the degree of swelling if this in fact is actually normal. but basically my entire nose just looks like playdough. i just got my cast removed yesterday, as it was a week since surgery.

Nose like an avatar character

+1

Early post-op the nose will be very swollen. I assume you do not mean it is a different color! (LOL)

Swelling after a rhinoplasty

+1

One must always expect some degree of swelling and bruising after a rhinoplasty.  The splint, since it compresses the soft tissue will keep some of the early swelling down.  Once this compression is removed the entire nose can swell.  Do not be discouraged, the swelling will gradually improve over the next few months.  Other than ice and elevation there is not much you can do to speed the process along. 

Degree of swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

As you already know, swelling occurs after rhinoplasty. The degree of swelling is different in every patient and even postoperative photos from other patients can only demonstrate this degree of swelling for the majority. It's possible you have more swelling than the average. However, that swelling invariably goes down for everyone, some faster than others.

Kristina Tansavatdi, MD

Swelling after Rhinoplasty

+1

While every rhinoplasty patient has swelling when the splint is removed, some have more than others and the nose can initially look way worse than when you started. This can certainly be discouraging but time will make a bit difference even if it is a process of months to get to where it look better than before surgery.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

+1

Swelling at one week can be significant.  A lot of this depends upon techniques employed, amount of dissection, and the choice of open vs closed technique as well as individual healing characteristics.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Swelling immediately after rhinoplasty

+1

It's normal to have swelling, sometimes a lot of swelling, one week after surgery.  Some patients well up like a cherry tomato, some like a bratwurst, and some like Avatar characters.  Sleep on 2-3 pillows, avoid strenuous activity, high salt intake and alcohol, and you should start seeing your new nose soon.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear newnose,

1. This can be normal, especially in cases where a lot of work needs to be done, or you go from a large nose to a small nose
  2. Unfortunately, it can be hard to predict how much someone will swell sometimes
  3. All we can say is that it will get better

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD